What can 'do Strat' that isn't a Strat?

What's Hot
BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
edited April 2020 in Guitar
Not in the market to purchase anything at the moment, but what should one be looking at if one wants to be able to get close to Strat territory tone wise (Neck and Neck/Middle tones) but is bored to tears of Strats having had several and always got bored of them?

I've always loved the look and vibe of semi hollow guitars like this but I know nothing about them

https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-dept/electric-guitars/hollow-semi-hollow-body-guitars/prs-se-hollowbody-ii-charcoal-burst

This particular model is humbuckers and not splittable.

I guess, with only playing at home and using modelling (Helix and studio monitors/headphones) it's fairly easy to contrive most of the tones you could want with any guitar, but still would appreciate any advice on things to consider. 

It would probably end up being my only electric, so versatility is pretty key. Budget would be around £1k eventually, new or used I'm not fussed.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72680
    You do need something with two single coils in those positions, really. The one electric guitar sound that’s really difficult to duplicate with anything else is the Strat in-between sound, because it’s a complex notch-filtered sound which is dependent on the type and spacing of the pickups, not just EQ.

You can get reasonably close with two split humbuckers, but they need to be in the ‘24 fret neck’ positions and split to the inner coils. The Strat neck sound needs to be a single coil in the *outer* coil position. You can also get fairly close with two single coils as far apart as a Tele, with some clever circuitry like the Jerry Donahue Tele, but it’s still not as accurate as simply using a pair of Strat-type pickups.

So I would probably look for either a two-humbucker guitar with 24 frets and the right coil-splitting arrangements, or some sort of HSS pickup configuration.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2534
    Tele with a Twisted Tele in the neck does a good Strat neck pos
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27269
    I once played a JJ Jewel with dimarzio soapbar-humbuckers that actually did a mean Strat impression with them both split. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Tele with a Twisted Tele in the neck does a good Strat neck pos
    Heard that many times, though never tried one myself.

I'd guess if it was one of the Teles with a middle pickup it could get the notch tones, assuming the spacing was right.
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 660
    Nashville Tele?
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    ICBM said:
    You do need something with two single coils in those positions, really. The one electric guitar sound that’s really difficult to duplicate with anything else is the Strat in-between sound, because it’s a complex notch-filtered sound which is dependent on the type and spacing of the pickups, not just EQ.

You can get reasonably close with two split humbuckers, but they need to be in the ‘24 fret neck’ positions and split to the inner coils. The Strat neck sound needs to be a single coil in the *outer* coil position. You can also get fairly close with two single coils as far apart as a Tele, with some clever circuitry like the Jerry Donahue Tele, but it’s still not as accurate as simply using a pair of Strat-type pickups.

So I would probably look for either a two-humbucker guitar with 24 frets and the right coil-splitting arrangements, or some sort of HSS pickup configuration.
    I'd wonder if the 24 fret neck pickup position would stop the split coil sound like a Strat neck.

I know that a neck humbucker on a 24 fretter doesn't sound as "necky" as it does on a Strat or Les Paul; just doesn't sound right. Never tried it with a single coil though.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72680
    thegummy said:

I'd wonder if the 24 fret neck pickup position would stop the split coil sound like a Strat neck.
    A bit, but not as much as the 22-fret position stops the split inner coils sounding like a Strat in-between. The spacing is quite critical for that, without extra JD-type trickery.

The other big problem with splitting humbuckers is that they just don’t really sound the same as Fender-type single coils. There are some humbuckers that get around this by being like two Fender pickups - eg Duncan Stag Mag, Oil City Brassknuckle - but they don’t sound like normal humbuckers when not split.

Basically it depends which sound is your priority and which you can accept an approximation of. If you really want true Strat neck and neck/middle sounds, you need true Strat-like pickups there, whatever is at the bridge.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1622
    Reverend Jetstream 390

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman silhouette or silhouette special or PatrickEggle Berlin Pro or Patrick Eggle New York or ibanez Jem
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    Musicman Albert Lee with single coils?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1327
    JD50 said:
    Nashville Tele?
    this ^^^^
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Thanks all, lots of food for thought!
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Sassafras said:
    Musicman Albert Lee with single coils?
    Good shout... very good shout.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • gazrichardsgazrichards Frets: 691
    What is it about strats you don’t like?
    I’m in a similar position in that I don’t like trems really, don’t like the 3 pot system on a strat, a master tone and vol would be way better and less in the way and don’t really like the jack input on a strat. 
    I used to have a musicman cutlass that was brilliant but I didn’t use it enough to justify the real estate value of it. I now use a charvel dk24 which is brilliant too but I’m maybe having similar thoughts about if I can justify keeping it
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    What is it about strats you don’t like?
    I’m in a similar position in that I don’t like trems really, don’t like the 3 pot system on a strat, a master tone and vol would be way better and less in the way and don’t really like the jack input on a strat. 
    I used to have a musicman cutlass that was brilliant but I didn’t use it enough to justify the real estate value of it. I now use a charvel dk24 which is brilliant too but I’m maybe having similar thoughts about if I can justify keeping it
    It's not that I don't like them, I do. I just find them a bit....dull and sterile. But I have an inkling that a lot of that might actually come from playing through a laptop and helix software rather than playing through an amp. But in a small house with paper thin walls it's the most sensible option and gives me access to a lot of tones without expensive pedals etc.
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3674
    If you've the inclination then a Variax might do the job. There are lots of the JT models that don't look liek strats. They have the magnetic pickups as well as all the emulated guitars. If you're playing through a laptop then you won't really be able to tell the difference from the original guitars. I used one live on a couple of songs in a former (classic rock) band when I needed a pretty close approximation of an iconic guitar and really it was close enough for me to be happy with.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16303
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5452
    Funnily enough, I used to have a PRS NF3 that did the in-between tones *really* well, despite all the pickups being humbuckers. Very convincing, and if I were in a live act that needed me to do Knopfler I think you would get away with it and then some (other than if it were me having nowhere near the technique) ;)

The downside was that the standalone position cleans were a bit meh.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5187
    I watched someone play a Tokai Strat in a store once, and it sounded absolutely fantastic...The chap told me that to get the best out of Strats you really have to ‘wring their necks’ 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2914
    Musicman Cutlass.

PRS Silver Sky?