What are my chances of cutting a pickguard for a humbucker....

What's Hot
....using basic hand tools and a file? 

It's a single coil opening, I have a really good template in a metal humbucker mount. 

I anticipate drilling holes in the corners and cutting between using a mini hacksaw blade, then filing to finish. 

Am I deluded. Is there a better method? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1801
    That will work. At least with filing you can just sneak up on the line you need. Take your time and keep checking the fit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I did it and it's not too hard. Work slowly and it'll be fine.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    the_jaffa said:
    That will work. At least with filing you can just sneak up on the line you need. Take your time and keep checking the fit.
    What gauge of file would you use? 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7794
    edited April 2020
    It works fine, just takes ages. Use a flat file to get near the line you marked. Then you will need needle files for the corners and sand paper on a small block to tidy it up. 
    To save time on the flat edges you can use a very sharp stiff knife to "scrape" away carefully.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14553
    It works fine, just takes ages. Use a flat file to get near the line you marked. Then you will need needle files for the corners and sand paper on a small block to tidy it up. To save time on the flat edges, you can use a very sharp stiff knife to "scrape" away carefully.
    Been there. Done that. (Last time was the Höhner JT60 with three P90s before I traded it back to H7. Horrid, brittle plastic.) I will add that the latter stages are better performed with a round file. This more closely replicates the edge left by a rotary cutting tool.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • I used sandpaper wrapped around a flat file for a softer approach towards the end.
  • saltyseadogsaltyseadog Frets: 17
    It is certainly doable. I made humbucking  pickup surrounds and a scratch plate from mahogany for my ES335 a few years back. A bit of advice, drill all holes out and countersink before cutting out to shape as it will likely save you problems later on.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    I did it with a drill, a couple of decent files and some sandpaper. It's not bad, but not perfect. 

When the Tele body arrives I'll post some pics.