Did something to my Baja Tele

What's Hot

Comments

• LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    No, not remotely! All a load of chuff about an Esquire having more sustain than a Tele. Blindfolded you wouldn't notice a difference. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Is the benefit for you that you prefer the way it looks without the neck pickup?

Btw, question for anyone, did the whole sustain idea come from people taking a spinal tap joke seriously or are people actually playing incredibly long notes?
    edited April 2020
    thegummy said:
    Is the benefit for you that you prefer the way it looks without the neck pickup?

Btw, question for anyone, did the whole sustain idea come from people taking a spinal tap joke seriously or are people actually playing incredibly long notes?
    I never used the neck pickup on this guitar (use it mostly for punkier stuff/country) and it's not my only Tele, so I thought I'd have a bit of fun with it. Mods were very cheap and reversible. I also happen to like the way it looks without a neck pickup and switch. 

I've read that eliminating the neck pickup from the equation gives more sustain because of less magnetic pull on the strings. Can't tell the difference, myself. 
  • @Loobs your Tele (or should that be Esquire) looks excellent. Sometimes a single pickup instrument just gets to the heart of what that particular style of guitar is all about - Esquires and Les Paul Jr's being great examples. I've been thinking about doing an Esquire for a while - it would partner my single pickup Strat perfectly!

https://imgur.com/a/KrXiHPS

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    That looks awesome.   I was thinking about putting some parts together and make something similar. 
  • Looks great. Once I get my hands on a backup tele I might give this a go with my roadworn. You get the Les Paul Junior vibes with a single pickup. To me anyhow.
    @Loobs your Tele (or should that be Esquire) looks excellent. Sometimes a single pickup instrument just gets to the heart of what that particular style of guitar is all about - Esquires and Les Paul Jr's being great examples. I've been thinking about doing an Esquire for a while - it would partner my single pickup Strat perfectly!

https://imgur.com/a/KrXiHPS

Haha! That's wicked. 
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2530
    Agree with you on the milky plastic finish. Get the heat gun out matey - so much better...

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Agree with you on the milky plastic finish. Get the heat gun out matey - so much better...

Fuck, you're right. What oil did you put on it? The neck also feels pretty rank. 
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2530
    Loobs said:

Fuck, you're right. What oil did you put on it? The neck also feels pretty rank. 
    Can't remember but it was nothing particular. It's the wood that's important, the oil just shows it off ;)

I'd like to stain in white. 
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3909
    That's bloody awesome!
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 471
    I’ve found that a product called Tru-Oil ,which is used on gun stocks works,well on natural guitar bodies. It’s very easy to apply and you just build up the coats in order to get the depth of shine you need.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    I used tru-oil to finish a body I stained with Crimson guitars stain and it came out really nice. Really easy to do just by rubbing on with a cloth as well :)
    Might give this a go someday, cheers! 
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Am I the only one who thinks the milky butterscotch looks great?

Not that the oiled wood doesn't also look good.
    I love the butterscotch but on this guitar it just seems really thick and plasticy.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7878
    Looks fab. I’ve got a single pickup Snakehead tele, sounds phenomenal! 

Favourite guitar at the moment!

Sometimes, less is more!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Absolutely! 
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    Someone else on here documented stripping their Baja and they weighed the finish they stripped off. It was something daft like 1/2 lb