NGD - 80's Tokai Breezysound Paisley Red telecaster

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Hydra19Hydra19 Frets: 329
    I was not after a pink paisley but a maple cap neck which fender only made in the 60's. I searched everywhere but the only place to find a fender style neck without a skunk stripe was to order one but hardly any guitars have such a neck. Edwards telecasters do, some other ones made in china. I must have looked at dozens of paisley teles, as soon as I saw a skunk stripe on the back i moved on....so that was it for me. It wasn't about the color, and I had looked into Allparts necks, they make one that is maple cap but then I'd need to finish it too.
    Now I got the neck I wanted, but it looks like there are cracks in the tuner holes, I wonder if it'll survive.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Nice, i am a fan of the maple cap necks myself, my friend has a tokai blackguard tele with a maple cap neck.
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    edited April 2020
    What exactly is a 'maple cap neck'? A neck that has a maple fretboard capped onto a maple rear? And what is so desirable about that? 
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 471
    edited April 2020
    After Fender went over to rosewood fingerboards in the 60s, ( maybe 59), they didn’t rout the neck to insert the truss rod but put it in a channel routed in the front of the neck and then glued the fingerboard over the top. Although 60s production Strats and Teles had the rosewood boards they would still offer maple boards to custom order, to do this they made a separate maple board and used the same neck assembly method as for the rosewood.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bugilemanbugileman Frets: 57
    Very nice indeed. Lovely guitar.

I have an old 85 Tokai goldstar sound, the neck is maple, but one piece no cap. Not sure if this is the norm? 

After Fender went over to rosewood fingerboards in the 60s, ( maybe 59), they didn’t rout the neck to insert the truss rod but put it in a channel routed in the front of the neck and then glued the fingerboard over the top. Although 60s production Strats and Teles had the rosewood boards they would still offer maple boards to custom order, to do this they made a separate maple board and used the same neck assembly method as for the rosewood.
    So basically it's just rarer? 

I see this on some cheaper guitars. 
  • They look better from the back as no skunk stripe imo, they also sound a bit different from a solid maple neck.
  • Hydra19Hydra19 Frets: 329
    Yes, the skunk stripe look bothers me, and how is that a one piece neck when there is both maple and walnut pieces in it?
    The maple cap thing is just because it's rare, and some say you can hear a difference, and some say not, just like with all the other stuff. Some say there is no sound difference but a maple cap maybe be stronger and less shifting during seasons. 
    All I know is I have always wanted a Telecaster as close as possible to Robbie Robertson's the band tone. I have always admired Telecasters but when I started listening to the band, the Telecaster just became sweeter and that is the typical Tele sound to me. 
    I'm really going for that wild '66 Dylan tour tone, so will add some steel saddles and antiquity 2 pickups
    Cool, RR is awesome.