New pickups much heavier

What's Hot
lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
I've just changed pickups from my Strat copy to some Pribora Voodoo pickups. I didn't take a weight reading before but having put the new pickups in, the guitar seems to feel quite a bit heavier. Could new pickups really make a significant weight increase?
9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4140
    Nope, not really!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    This is my favourite thread of the last year.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    If you’re very familiar with the guitar, maybe. I put the mute back on my old Jaguar after I’d used it as my main gigging guitar for about five years, and when I picked it up again I could tell it was heavier.

There’s about half a ton of copper shielding in that guitar now as well .

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
    I realise it could just be all in my head and as @ICBM mentions there is now cooper shielding in it. I guess it's just my mind telling me it's different 
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7292
    It depends, Seymour Duncans for example have a lot of empty calories, if you're not pushing 180bpm triplets for 10 mins at least twice a week you might notice some gradual weight gain. Bare knuckles on the other hand have excellent nutritional value and if you experience any weight gain there its probably just an accumulation of tone in the electronics. You can let it out by turning up the volume control, that makes the gap in your jack plug socket bigger so more tone can get out at once. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    All the extra mojo must weigh more no? 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Pickups made from depleted uranium can weigh a fair bit more than regular ones.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9682
    Replacing the alloy sustain block with a steel one certainly made my Strat noticeably heavier. Removing a pickup when Esquire-ing my Tele didn’t make it noticeably lighter.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24809
    Presumably all three were in the same box when you bought them? Did the unopened box feel really heavy?

If not, I doubt your guitar really is noticeably heavier.
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4106
    When I swapped my pickups the sound was so nice I played it alot more.  I figured it felt heavier due to all the extra notes it had stored up inside it compared to my old one. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom