Holy shit, cheap guitars are good. Harley Benton content

What's Hot
jdbwalesjdbwales Frets: 309
Just bought as a bit of a lockdown project a Harley Benton TE-80NT, the Prince Telecaster model.

I had one of these a few years ago and regretted selling it, so was pleased when I could grab a new one - didn’t realise it was an updated version either. 

Last one I had was a bit of a project even bought new - I had to sort out the cheap mini pots and wiring, polish the scratchy frets, replace the shoddy tuners and sort out the mile-high action before it was playable. This time round, full size Alpha pots and higher quality Cor Tek switch, smooth frets, great hardware and tuners and an excellent setup outside of the box - and it arrived within 4 days from Thomann too. Less of a project than I thought, but very impressive.

Cosmetically there’s some beautiful woods here too - lovely solid ash body with great grain, flame maple top with a bit of extra photo flame (but still looks stunning even up close) and a slim D shape satin finish neck with a 14” radius (so easy to play) and black neck binding. Such a cool guitar. 

Sounds amazing, looks beautiful and plays great - better than any Fender I’ve played. I’ve stuck some tapped Hot Rails in it and some 9s and it’s incredible...and it cost me £156 delivered. 

Pictures to follow, but those of you who’ve not looked into Harley Bentons, I’d recommend doing so. They haven’t paid me by the way!

Will get some pictures up later when the kids aren’t around!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    I've been thinking of getting one of the TE-52NA for a while! The flatter radius suits me nicely and the spec, wood type etc seems better than Squier and even low end Fenders.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12384
    My HB 335 copy needed new pickups and I also changed the tuners and its tremendous.
  • jdbwalesjdbwales Frets: 309
    Some pictures of the Benton (and its beautiful flame) here: 

https://imgur.com/gallery/8hEgRp9
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skinfreakskinfreak Frets: 200
    Looks great apart from that pickguard around the bridge. Yak. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18817
    skinfreak said:
    Looks great apart from that pickguard around the bridge. Yak. 
    Dammit you're right. Looks just like the original, those unscrupulous bastards!!!
  • TTBZ said:
    I've been thinking of getting one of the TE-52NA for a while! The flatter radius suits me nicely and the spec, wood type etc seems better than Squier and even low end Fenders.
    I bought a te52 several years ago. It's been my main guitar ever since. 

Admittedly I've done some modding, but the stock guitar was excellent. 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    edited April 2020
    TTBZ said:
    I bought a te52 several years ago. It's been my main guitar ever since. 

Admittedly I've done some modding, but the stock guitar was excellent. 
    Yes I think I read some older posts of yours (amongst others and now this thread too) which basically said the same thing which is what made me really want to try one! I typically don't get on with Fender style guitars but I've never tried a Tele so thought this would be a good intro without spending a huge amount. This month due to all the social distancing crap I've probably saved the cost of one in fuel so may have to treat myself in a few weeks