chord melody books

HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15987
the chord/melody Martin Taylor style.........besides the MT books what else is worthy of note  :)
tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JohnCordyJohnCordy Frets: 650
    Ted greene
  • JohnCordy said:
    Ted greene
    Yep, ‘Chord Chemistry’...I didn’t find it the easiest read but i dipped in and out of it and certainly generated some ideas.
  • BradBrad Frets: 667
    JohnCordy said:
    Ted greene
    Yep, ‘Chord Chemistry’...I didn’t find it the easiest read but i dipped in and out of it and certainly generated some ideas.
    I found Modern Chord Progressions a lot easier to get into than Chord Chemistry. Different strokes and all that...
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 749
    I learn a few songs from Howard Morgan's Chord Melody books a long time ago, they were nice arrangements.

I remember learning "Laura" from his book, great song.

Here he is playing "Laura", he's got a older, but haven't we all.

"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 749
    For Jazz Standards Chord Melody, Howard Alden is one of the best too, he went to the Wales Jazz guitar festival a lot.

"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • vizviz Frets: 10720
    edited April 2020

GuyBoden said:
    For Jazz Standards Chord Melody, Howard Alden is one of the best too, he went to the Wales Jazz guitar festival a lot.

I love his “django” melody, it’s the same as 2:10 here: https://youtu.be/F8JJncSUdUU

it creates a really lovely tender sound. Can’t describe it properly. Reminds me of parlour playing in the 30s. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.