The Cheap Wood Of Ibanez S520

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1543
    I think several  people have already answered your original query already, but it also seems that you are unwilling to accept that advice - your call.
    However, there is no logic in dismissing a guitar, that you havent played, on the basis that the manufacturer has changed from one fairly generic hardwood to another fairly generic (and similar) hardwood. If the exact timber used in construction of the guitar is important to you, then pony up and order a custom guitar.
    Given Satriani's ability to generate tone from whichever guitar he is currently playing, I think you have chosen an unfortunate example. And if you think that most of his tone on earlier tracks like Always With Me... is entirely due to the body wood of one guitar he used back in the day, then you might want to take a look at his extensive amp/pedal/studio setup at the time too.

If you like the look of the Ibanez, and the overall sound, then go and buy one. If you don't like it when you play it then sell it on.

I wish you luck in your sonic quest,
    Adam
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72619
    Isn't Satriani's famous tone a Boss DS-1 through the clean channel of a Marshall 30th Anniversary?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
    Just  watched this 
    The ones made out of a door and mdf are not that much difference to the mahoghany.

To be fair not much between them all , factor in when f/x are added ,delay/ overdrive etc, put  it in a band mix with bass drums vocals,10.00 at night in a pub i reckon the cork sniffers would struggle to say
    " Thats a mdf bodied guitar" or "  Nice sounding ash bodied guitar" ...
    go to 12.42 for the results
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Isn't Satriani's famous tone a Boss DS-1 through the clean channel of a Marshall 30th Anniversary? 

Yes, but the surfing with the alien album is a rockman straight to the board.
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
    mark123 said:
    Just  watched this 
    The ones made out of a door and mdf are not that much difference to the mahoghany.

To be fair not much between them all , factor in when f/x are added ,delay/ overdrive etc, put  it in a band mix with bass drums vocals,10.00 at night in a pub i reckon the cork sniffers would struggle to say
    " Thats a mdf bodied guitar" or "  Nice sounding ash bodied guitar" ...
    go to 12.42 for the results
    would help if i put the link in! doh !

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Bit confused at the Satriani references, the JS is a bigger lump than the RS, it was Frank Gambale who had the RS signature . FWIW I had a RS540 ltd from about 94 which was sweet as a nut, haven’t played on of the latest ones which comes close
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23083
    Bit confused at the Satriani references, the JS is a bigger lump than the RS, it was Frank Gambale who had the RS signature . FWIW I had a RS540 ltd from about 94 which was sweet as a nut, haven’t played on of the latest ones which comes close
    I thought Gambale's signature was based on the 540S, the Saber series with a really thin body (hence that weird plastic mounting for the switch on his sig.)

The Satriani JS models are more of a development from the 540R Radius series, more rounded and Strat-like (and with a slightly thicker neck too).

• Philly_Q said:
    Bit confused at the Satriani references, the JS is a bigger lump than the RS, it was Frank Gambale who had the RS signature . FWIW I had a RS540 ltd from about 94 which was sweet as a nut, haven’t played on of the latest ones which comes close
    I thought Gambale's signature was based on the 540S, the Saber series with a really thin body (hence that weird plastic mounting for the switch on his sig.)

The Satriani JS models are more of a development from the 540R Radius series, more rounded and Strat-like (and with a slightly thicker neck too).

You are correct and it’s where my confusion was , it’s the non qualified  S in the model number which I didn’t quite get. In my head an RS is the Gambale Sabre model  the JS is the Satriani model so when the op just said S520 I immediately assumed RS not JS
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • rossirossi Frets: 1707
    Wish I was young enough to try out one of theses. =)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Does type of wood used on leccie guitars make that much difference to tone? It might make a difference on an acoustic.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3835
    IMO no, but others claim they can hear the difference. 
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3458
    Does type of wood used on leccie guitars make that much difference to tone? It might make a difference on an acoustic.
    About as much as your hair length matters for your overall body weight.
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 836
    ... I actually have a featherweight Ibanez S520WNF with a proper mahogany body from 2000 then I’ve been thinking of selling 
  • carlos said:
    Does type of wood used on leccie guitars make that much difference to tone? It might make a difference on an acoustic.
    My hair is at that awkward 'in between' length at the moment.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • carlos said:
    My hair is at that awkward 'in between' length at the moment.
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/172303/
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk