I'm guessing that this is a fake?

What's Hot
droflufdrofluf Frets: 3704
In my search for something that I can play in the early morning I found this:

https://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/fender-strat-electric-guitar-sunburst-not-squier-/1369838588

Or at least not a Starcaster which I've just discovered is hollow bodied and was discontinued in 1980 (https://www.fender.com/articles/gear/the-starcaster-explore-one-of-fenders-strangest-creations)

On the plus side it is local....
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Lmao, bless em, £75 for a v naff Squier and no headstock shot :)
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Fender did also use the Starcaster name for some cheapy strats. I’ve no idea if this is one such.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Starcaster is both the hollow one but also a very cheap guitar Fender used to sell under the main brand name.

So while it's technically true when it says "not Squier", it doesn't mean what that would mean for the current lineup, i.e. is higher in the product range than the ones branded Squier. It's actually a very low end guitar, possibly sold in Argos or the likes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Actually very dishonest of the seller to write what he does. Trying to take advantage of the brand name confusion and con someone in to thinking the guitar is worth more than it is.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72408
    thegummy said:
    Actually very dishonest of the seller to write what he does. Trying to take advantage of the brand name confusion and con someone in to thinking the guitar is worth more than it is.
    This.

It’s one of these -

https://www.amazon.in/Fender-028-0001-532-Starcaster-Stratocaster-6-Strings/dp/B003AYC6XW

It’s not total junk, but it won’t be any better than a very bottom end Squier.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MartinBushMartinBush Frets: 253
    That's an interesting one - I'd be interested if it was about £40.

On Gumtree there's usually a lot of guitars listed from the Headington area of Oxford - no idea why.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14452
    If Squier is the budget offshoot of Fender, Starcaster by Fender can be thought of as the budget offshoot of Squier.

I am content to believe that the seller is naïve rather than devious. 

IMHO, £115 is pre-owned Affinity money, ideally, with a padded gigbag thrown in.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    One for Harry Seven me thinks  ;)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Voxman said:
    One for Harry Seven me thinks  ;)
    Even Harry has standards, or so he keeps saying!
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    If Squier is the budget offshoot of Fender, Starcaster by Fender can be thought of as the budget offshoot of Squier.

I am content to believe that the seller is naïve rather than devious. 

IMHO, £115 is pre-owned Affinity money, ideally, with a padded gigbag thrown in.

I've got a Squier Affinity Strat and I'd be glad to get £115 for it!