Another Tokai dating question

What's Hot
MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3659
OK, this time it's a bass.  I bought this Jazz Sound second hand (from A1 Music in Manchester), probably in c1986 (certainly 85 - 87).  It didn't look very new at the time although it may have had a hard life.  I gigged it for several years before switching to guitar.  I turned it into a fretless a few years back.

My best estimate is 1984 but that has always felt too young to me given how played it was whaen I first got it.  The serial number, which I know isn't much use with Tokai's is L11***

Thanks

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    Does it have the original pots, and if so what are the date codes? These are some of the most reliable parts for dating, at least if they haven't been changed.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3659
    Not much on the pots.  These have never been changed by me (I've had the instrument for around 35 years)

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    Yes, they look original. But no codes unfortunately.

Based on this it does look likely to be 1984 though - https://www.vintagejapanguitars.com.br/en/tokai-serial-en/

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3659

Cheers, seems to fit.  Despite being a really nice instrument the previous owner must have only kept it for a couple of years before trading it on.  I suppose things must have been different back then, I couldn't imagine people doing that sort of thing today :)
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    The only real Tokai dating tip I have is not to try to take the pickguard off on the first date.
  • EmielEmiel Frets: 214
    edited April 2020
    It's most likely from 1984. The thick Tokai logo is typical of 1984 and the L11*** is in right range.

Have a look at this website...
    https://www.faberguitar.com/index.php?k=107&lang=eng