The Beatles songs

What's Hot
I've never really been into The Beatles.....yes I  understand and appreciate the groups importance and influence to pop/rock/beat music but I've never really wanted to play their music. But I thought that I would try to learn to play one of their songs and I'm hooked.
I've learned to play the chords and guitar solo to "And I love her"..... and it's beautiful. I love playing it and I'm going to check out and play more of their songs. I also reckon that  by scrutinizing the chord progressions I can glean some basic (very basic in my case) music theory.
So my (very basic) theory summary of this particular song is......mainly lovely sounding minor chords....with a few major ones in there too.......the guitar solo goes up a half step........and the last chord is a major chord after two minor ones.

Might have a go at "In my life" next.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2051
    I recently started playing “Real Love” on acoustic guitar. Probably not the first song you would think of but really nice sounding song acoustically. Also I love playing A Day In The Life and a slowed down version of Help ala Noel Gallagher
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    Check out Mike Pachelli's Youtube channel or website. He has some great videos and tabs available for Beatles songs. He is a huge enthusiast and a great musician.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • close2u said:
    Check out Mike Pachelli's Youtube channel or website. He has some great videos and tabs available for Beatles songs. He is a huge enthusiast and a great musician.
    I've checked him out and like him.......thanks for your suggestion.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Also, the Ricky Rooksby book ‘the Beatles complete chord songbook ‘is awesome (comes in a kindle version).
    The other one, with the gold circle on it, is not so good. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• For a real treat have a crack at the Abbey Road medley. So many different chords in there but wonderful recurring themes and melodies.

Works surprisingly well as a solo acoustic number. Especially Golden Slumbers and Carry That Load. I'm almost in tears whenever I hear Side 2 of Abbey Road.

Gotta love the Beatles. And to imagine the sheer extent of what they accomplished in what, 6 or 7 years? And all before they were barely into their 30s. Incredible.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • oldfoxyoldfoxy Frets: 39

For a real treat have a crack at the Abbey Road medley. So many different chords in there but wonderful recurring themes and melodies.

Works surprisingly well as a solo acoustic number. Especially Golden Slumbers and Carry That Load. I'm almost in tears whenever I hear Side 2 of Abbey Road.

Gotta love the Beatles. And to imagine the sheer extent of what they accomplished in what, 6 or 7 years? And all before they were barely into their 30s. Incredible.

Absolute genius.  I doubt we'll see the like again.  Been a Beatles addict since my aunt indoctrinated me at the age of 5 back in 1964
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    My Dad played at the Cavern Club in his band, they're listed on the wall of fame outside now and my Mum not only met him there but turned down John Lennon to be with my Dad. I grew up listening to them and when I learned to play and Dad taught me, I was kinda forced to learn their songs because they were a solid platform to start from, everyone knew them and there was a lot of books around with the music to learn it from so it was easily accessible. There was no internet in the 80's so you had books and your ear, maybe you knew someone who'd show you how to play stuff and that was your lot.
    A Beatles songbook would be give you a list of songs you could actually play and most people would listen to it when you did.
    It served me well, I learned a lot.

Free as a bird is a nice enough song to learn and play if you never have before.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom