Wiring Bourns Premium PotS

I imagine like a lot of people at the moment I'm getting around to finishing off projects that have been put to one side for literally years. After opening up one of my guitars to wire it up I've found that it's got a Bourns Premium volume pot, these are black plastic rather than the usual metal and have three lugs coming out of the side. 

Should I just wire the grounds to the third lug? Obviously I can't solder them to the back of the pot as there is no back of the pot, it's just a black plastic cube with the lugs poking out. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RobertWRobertW Frets: 148
  • I'm not a fan of these pots for reasons which will become obvious - they just complicate matters!

The three lugs are for the wiper and each end of the resistance track, so sorry, you can't just wire them 'to the third lug'. You need to make a separate connection to earth.

I seem to remember these pots came with a washer with a tab that could be soldered to (or is that just the MojoTone ones?). If not, improvise with something similar such as those which are often used on cars, then ensure the 'washer' is under the nut when you install the pot, for electrical continuity with the shielding foil/plate and other pots etc.

Alternatively just take a wire to another earth point inside your guitar, which if course would normally be the back of a pot....

• RobertWRobertW Frets: 148
    Thanks for the advice. I've just ordered some CTS pots. I'll stick with what I know.