Improving the magazines...

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6499
    @Elx

Hi mate - my missus is Dutch (Hup Holland...)

Quick question - what value do you think you get from a physical magazine that you don't get from the internet? 

The tactile pleasure of flicking through glossy pictures of guitars etc.

Clearly that's not enough for some people, but I like it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ElxElx Frets: 412
    @Elx

Quick question - what value do you think you get from a physical magazine that you don't get from the internet? 

The tactile pleasure of flicking through glossy pictures of guitars etc.

Clearly that's not enough for some people, but I like it.
    Hup Holland Hup ;) 

What Rocknrolldave said...plus,I am self taught. I've learned everything I know from guitar magazines. And if you've been doing this for 20 years, you can learn a lot :)

I remember lessons from Guitar player magazine, Arlen Roth, Arnie Berle, Tommy Tedesco. Then came Paul Gilbert, Vai transcriptions etc, theory articles, technique discussions. This is before Youtube and internet. And I've kept the habit, lately it's been Guitar techniques. The joy of getting a new issue and going through lessons is something special, it's like I've never grown up. I subscribe to Premier guitar on my Ipad but the experience is very different, let's just say I could live without it...

Also, I do office work and the last thing I need when I get home is spending hours in front of a computer again. A guitar on my lap, a magazine and I'm happy...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    @Elx

What @Jetfire said, plus I can read it in bed with the cat sitting on me.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited June 2014
    Re: the earlier Q - "would anyone read it?"

GOOD Q cos although I love the idea of the Tone Report (and it being mailed to me) and to some extent Guitar Interactive, I get fed up reading rather aimless cliched copy on 'The Most Important Thing Of All Time For Guitars' type drivel that is only there is for their reviews/promote sales of obscure USA 'Boutique' Pedals... 

Guitar Interactive is just too anal and behind the curve also for any adrenalin rush and I actually dislike all their presenters - they annoy the FCUK outa me! AND - NO  GI - I DO NOT WANT CHEAP DVD on how to sound like xxx...! So stop emailing me with Father's Day 2-for-1 offers!!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Please remember not everyone likes the Overdriven/ Distorted sound that most players seem to favour. I think a lot of players forget there was a time when there was no Overdrive sound,and everything was clean.
    Yeah before electric guitars were invented.

Seriously, though, I don't think I've seen an electric guitar review where they didn't mention the clean tones.
    DamianP said:
    One of my personal hopes for this forum is that we can do more to raise the profile of our UK builders & businesses.

Perhaps ...

We get a few of our more esteemed members together in a room, with a review guitar from one of those business builders.  And an amp or two (probably brought by the members).  Perhaps the builder hosts the event, to save the risk of expensive guitars parcelfarcing their way around the country.  

Then video them playing and discussing the guitar for an hour or two, then edit that down to a more web-friendly 10-15 mins.  Through time, we could build up quite a range of these discussion-demo-reviews, done by "real" people.

Would that be a goer?

Here`s the deal,   Peer reviews.

Get the builders to bring their best work.   Choose various categories for evaluation,  Joinery, finish, fretwork etc.   The builders vote for the top 3 in each category. No votes for your own work.

I might trust a review like that.

Internet forum "experts" are a poor source of advice generally.  
     The best thing is always the thing they bought.   The thing they didn`t buy can`t possibly be as good.   Nobody wants to admit they chose anything but the best do they?  Even when they obviously didn`t.
    Yeah pretty much.

Or at best, as Phil_aka_Pip said, maybe it was the best for that person but those criteria might not matter to anyone else.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    <QUOTE>

dampoldman said:
    @Elx

So... got me  pondering - do Amp Builders in Holland have amps full of Dutch Caps??
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

The reviewer can offer more info if requested and try to give an honest opinion.

Hopefully it wont all be telecaster reviews as well.

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    TTony said:
    Perhaps ...

We get a few of our more esteemed members together in a room, with a review guitar from one of those business builders.  And an amp or two (probably brought by the members).  Perhaps the builder hosts the event, to save the risk of expensive guitars parcelfarcing their way around the country.  

Then video them playing and discussing the guitar for an hour or two, then edit that down to a more web-friendly 10-15 mins.  Through time, we could build up quite a range of these discussion-demo-reviews, done by "real" people.

Would that be a goer?

Sounds like a great idea. Making a high-quality vid is pretty time-consuming though, unless you have two cameras and can cut between the two. I'm not sure a single, static camera would work too well. It would be worth investing in decent equipment and a good camera-person, if possible.

Done well though, it could be really popular, as it would offer something a bit different to the vids created by Andertons or PGS.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    edited June 2014
    I think interviewing pro guitar players would be an easy initial step for this forum.

You don't 'have' to video it either which opens up potential for telephone and (my least favourite) email interviews.

A new section on the forum for interviews is all that would be needed.

It would likely be pretty interesting reading as long as the interviewer asks decent questions.

Nothing too anal as to turn off the interviewee but something with a bit of depth.

Up and coming artists looking for promotion would be easier to pin down.

Like all things though it takes time and organisation and willing (but trusted) volunteers.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8714
    Why don't you start by interviewing Clarky?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    ^ Not Chappers?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom