Spraying nitro without a respirator outdoors?

What's Hot
I'm toying with the idea of building a partscaster over the summer.

I'd like to finish it in nitro. I did a neck a few years back with good results. At the time, I just sprayed outdoors in warm dry weather, and I didn't use any breathing protection beyond a simple dust mask. I do remember the nitro *stank*.

I also remember reading afterwards that a full respirator should be used for spraying nitro. So, erm. Maybe I messed up and if so, I don't want to do so again (especially as it's worth being extra careful with our lungs these days!).

So, am I right in thinking that a full respirator is necessary for spraying nitro, even out of doors? And if this is the case, does anyone know where's the best place to get one (and are they even available at the moment)?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    You’ll want a 3M vapour respirator. Doesn’t matter where you’re spraying, you’ll need one. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4185
    I got mine off eBay or amazon  and sprayed  outside in the summer when I did a bass headstock . I had put a new decal on it and had to spray ,leave a few days  sand it down  spray leave a few days ,sand it down etc. Kept doing this til it was like glass and the decal looked like it was just in there .  Can’t remember much about the respirator but it had two vent things on it and said it was suitable for paint spraying etc . I never finished the rest of the project though :( but that headstock was a great achievement for me who never had any aptitude for this kind of stuff .
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2926
    tFB Trader
    A half-decent vapour mask is what you want, 3M 06941 is what I use but there's lots out there. Well, assuming C19 hasn't had people buy them all up. Re those basic dust masks, although there's far more dangerous paints out there than nitro, they're no use at all really.
  • pottolompottolom Frets: 114
    Thanks gents, I'll make sure I get a mask, then (although I've had a quick look and it does look like they're mostly sold out, presumably due to Covid!).

When I looked at them before, I seem to remember they have quite a short limited shelf life once opened, are any of them reusable if for example a filter or similar is replaced? 

tFB Trader
    Actually, what are we all saying? You don’t need a respirator.... surely a scarf from your winter wardrobe collection will do the trick? After all, half the muppets out there in Tesco are wearing them while shopping. Who knew Nexts poly/wool mix was a good particle filter material (FACEPALM)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Actually, what are we all saying? You don’t need a respirator.... surely a scarf from your winter wardrobe collection will do the trick? After all, half the muppets out there in Tesco are wearing them while shopping. Who knew Nexts poly/wool mix was a good particle filter material (FACEPALM)
    genuine LOL 
    tFB Trader
    Actually, what are we all saying? You don’t need a respirator.... surely a scarf from your winter wardrobe collection will do the trick? After all, half the muppets out there in Tesco are wearing them while shopping. Who knew Nexts poly/wool mix was a good particle filter material (FACEPALM)
    genuine LOL 
    I can go one further... here’s my (rare) non guitar related Facebook post from today after a gentleman (who had a scarf wrapped around his face) decided to stand directly behind me at the local shop today...

“Guys, I have to apologise in advance as this will read like a rant (maybe it is... actually, it is). 

Wearing a flimsy paper mask that cost £1 from a hardware shop or wrapping your favourite winter scarf around your beak (jihadi John, anyone?) will not stop you from getting Covid 19. There is a staggering correlation between people wearing such DIY respirators and depth perception. Just because you tied your Next scarf that auntie Jane bought you for Xmas around your face does NOT entitle you to stand within 2 metres of me.

Perhaps the next time I run out of my 3M gas/vapour/particulate half face mask respirators your aunt Jane won’t mind me borrowing your scarf?

Nothing beats a highly contagious virus like the saliva soaked woolen fibres of your winter wardrobe tied eloquently around your bap

#wisethefuckupyoumorons”

Sorry for the derailment joke OP. In all seriousness, get a decent respirator but be aware that nearly all retailers will be sold out of them. Unless you want to pay double or triple the normal cost...

https://i.imgur.com/CKO0fxx.png

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    You probably heard that Trump publicly scolded 3M for sending masks to customers outside of the USA. America first! I've been trying for several weeks to get a new 3M 7500 series respirator. No chance.