To build a Jazzmaster or not...

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• ewalewal Frets: 2588
    Any recommendations of a source for hardware and electrics? I usually use Axetec and Axerus but they don't appear to have much for offsets.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7174
    If you're wanting fender parts, I've found eBay is still the cheapest, and that usually includes shipping from the states. There's someone selling a vintage trem unit for a very reasonable £90 on another forum if you can pay today.
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 660
    Offsetguitars, Shortscale.org & Surf101 are great places for Jazzmaster parts & advice
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    GavHaus said:
    If you're wanting fender parts, I've found eBay is still the cheapest, and that usually includes shipping from the states. There's someone selling a vintage trem unit for a very reasonable £90 on another forum if you can pay today.
    Thanks for the heads up - need to sell and consider my budget before committing to buy:)
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7174
    ^ the caveat to my OP was that eBay seems to be cheapest if you're buying new parts. Used is a different ball game. OSG seems to be best.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12668
    I have a Jap Jazzmaster/Jag trem unit with arm spare if you need it. It will fit - I just fitted a CP trem to my Jag.

You want one of these bridges:

Pickups - I have a pair of Jazzmaster CP pickups spare. Or if you want a more traditional sound, speak to Marc at Mojo pickups (I recommend asking him for an overwound bridge pickup though).

I think I still have a pair of roller thumbwheels too (just the knobs) - those are brand new Allparts ones.

Let me know if I can help - ping me a PM
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

impmann said:
    I have a Jap Jazzmaster/Jag trem unit with arm spare if you need it. It will fit - I just fitted a CP trem to my Jag.

You want one of these bridges:

Pickups - I have a pair of Jazzmaster CP pickups spare. Or if you want a more traditional sound, speak to Marc at Mojo pickups (I recommend asking him for an overwound bridge pickup though).

I think I still have a pair of roller thumbwheels too (just the knobs) - those are brand new Allparts ones.

Let me know if I can help - ping me a PM
    Could well be interested in your trem unit - I'll give you a shout once I've had a think about the project. Might well be interested in the roller thumbwheels too. The body (from JellyBelly) came with a Tune-O-Matic roller bridge and a Mustang bridge, so I'm sorted in that department. Pups-wise, I was thinking of going the Mojo route - I've a pair of his Wide Range buckers in my Toronado and they are excellent.
    GavHaus said:
    ^ the caveat to my OP was that eBay seems to be cheapest if you're buying new parts. Used is a different ball game. OSG seems to be best.
    Obviously I need to spend some time across on OSG.
    Just pulling together the cash at the moment to complete this build. I'm thinking Mojo Jazzmaster p'ups and maybe wiring loom too if my budget will stretch to it. Hardware will be anything I can lay my hands on;) Neck wise I'm thinking one of the Mighty Mite Strat necks which Axecaster have on ebay - I'm not being to purist about it, so I'm not too bothered about the accuracy of the headstock shape.

Any other neck options worth considering?
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    ewal said:
    Just pulling together the cash at the moment to complete this build. I'm thinking Mojo Jazzmaster p'ups and maybe wiring loom too if my budget will stretch to it. Hardware will be anything I can lay my hands on;) Neck wise I'm thinking one of the Mighty Mite Strat necks which Axecaster have on ebay - I'm not being to purist about it, so I'm not too bothered about the accuracy of the headstock shape.

Any other neck options worth considering?
    the mojo loom is £80 of pain. 

You can do it yourself for a lot less. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    northwest guitars have a custom neck service. 

I think the most you can spend is £160

its worth a look. 

but I personally would stalk ebay
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.

So that's the Jazzmaster build complete (pics to follow). I started with the CP body (bought from @Jellybelly) above and paired it up with a Mighty Mite neck, Creamery pups (bought from @travisthedog), Squier Mascis trem (from @GavHaus) and hardware from various places.

Pleased with my first play last night - the rhythm circuit controls aren't working, so must of got the wiring wrong there somewhere - should be an easy fix. Think I'm going to do have to do some work on the nut as the low E string seems to be a bit wide for the slot (the nut must've been cut for light strings). Anyone know of a way to widen a nut slot without nut files or is it time to invest in a set?

Crap picture but you get the gist....

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    Lovely job - looks the dogs b******s   =D>
    ewal said:

Think I'm going to do have to do some work on the nut as the low E string seems to be a bit wide for the slot (the nut must've been cut for light strings). Anyone know of a way to widen a nut slot without nut files or is it time to invest in a set?

Have you got £4.25 ??

Good call!
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 759
    Looks awesome man, congrats, glad the body etc went to good use! You went with the roller bridge in the end then?
    Cheers! I've not tried out the Mustang bridge yet so jury's still out. Planning a few tweaks here and there including trying out a 21 fret neck from my Toronado, a bit of shimming, and maybe spraying the headstock black - don't think a natural headstock looks right without the decals...