Pickups set for fusion

What's Hot
JazzthatJazzthat Frets: 163
Hi 
Looking for a recommendation for HSS pickups set that are good for fusion . I have recently seen ( heard ) Tom a Quayle and Martin Miller guitars and like their sound . 
Naturally I can't get those pickups ( SD Hyperion ) as they were custom made for Ibanez exclusively .
What do recommend ? I'd consider anything cheap or expensive as it is for a project guitar . 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4202
    I’d probably recommend a better genre
    14reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JazzthatJazzthat Frets: 163
    I’d probably recommend a better genre
    Lol that's no very helpful 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14621
    Jazzthat said:
    What do [you] recommend ? I'd consider anything cheap or expensive as it is for a project guitar . 
    It is difficult to offer meaningful suggestions without knowing some constructional details of the proposed project guitar and the amplification and pedals through which it will be played.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33867
    Suhr SSV+ and a couple of ML’s.
    Jazzthat said:
    What do [you] recommend ? I'd consider anything cheap or expensive as it is for a project guitar . 
    It is difficult to offer meaningful suggestions without knowing some constructional details of the proposed project guitar and the amplification and pedals through which it will be played.
    Let's just say , I am not experienced in that field and would like to play at home only at the moment , meaning no pedals and straight to amp . 
    The guitar is in bits at the moment and it's a Pacifica that I'll be upgrading slowly like I did with the other one . This time round I'd like it to sound different and like I mentioned , I like the sound of Tom Q and Martin M . 
    So something similar to that sound signature would be perfect . 
    I have a katana 100 MK2 and small balckstar fly3 for quiet practice .
    I am not that good with pickups , but these somehow sound to me like for a blues?
    octatonic said:
    Suhr SSV+ and a couple of ML’s.
    Never heard of them ! I'll need to explore that option . Thanks 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3997
    Some fusion players like a neck humbucker in the bridge position (e.g. Chris Poland uses a Full Shred, Holdsworth used a 59)
    prlgmnr said:
    Some fusion players like a neck humbucker in the bridge position (e.g. Chris Poland uses a Full Shred, Holdsworth used a 59)
    I think I prefer a heavier humbucker in bridge . Definitely more output than SD JB I have in other guitar . Not sure if a full shred would be good as I never tried one of those .
    Jazzthat said:
    the proposed project guitar
    it's a Pacifica
    Thank you. This helps to narrow down the options.

Is it the earlier variant with all pickups and controls mounted through the pickguard or the revised type with the bridge pickup in a mounting surround, some of the controls through the wood via a rear-facing control cavity?
    Jazzthat said:
    would that be any good choice ?
    Jazzthat said:
    the proposed project guitar
    it's a Pacifica
    Thank you. This helps to narrow down the options.

Is it the earlier variant with all pickups and controls mounted through the pickguard or the revised type with the bridge pickup in a mounting surround, some of the controls through the wood via a rear-facing control cavity?
    It's an older one I guess . Everything mounts on pickguard . 
    Jazzthat said:
    Jazzthat said:
    I would worry about the single coil pickup rod magnet length “stagger” pattern against the relatively flat fingerboard radius of the PAC112.
    Jazzthat said:
    Jazzthat said:
    I would worry about the single coil pickup rod magnet length “stagger” pattern against the relatively flat fingerboard radius of the PAC112.
    Interesting they advertise it as a Pacifica upgrade . I didn't think this would be a problem , but I see what you mean . 
    The Iron Gear single coils would work under a relatively flat fingerboard radius but the string-to-string volume balance might a bit uneven.
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3482
    Both Tom and Martin's signature guitars use Seymour Duncan Hyperion pickups. These aren't sold separately but the SD product expert commented in their forums that the sound of the bridge humbucker was between the Pegasus and the Sentient humbuckers, so definitely medium output. You mentioned you wanted something with more output than your JB, but fusion sound comes from medium output humbuckers and single coils to match that. I think a Seymour Duncan Custom Custom would work well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    carlos said:
    Both Tom and Martin's signature guitars use Seymour Duncan Hyperion pickups. These aren't sold separately but the SD product expert commented in their forums that the sound of the bridge humbucker was between the Pegasus and the Sentient humbuckers, so definitely medium output. You mentioned you wanted something with more output than your JB, but fusion sound comes from medium output humbuckers and single coils to match that. I think a Seymour Duncan Custom Custom would work well.
    Thanks a lot buddy . This clears things up . The reason I wanted more output was the little blackstar fly . It doesn't have same amount of gain as my big katana , and that makes a bit more difficult for me to practice legato .

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72792
    I'm not sure how much this will help if you're after a set, but I'll offer it anyway - I've got a Duncan SSL-3 Hot Strat pickup which is stupidly high-output for a single coil - the DC resistance is 15.6K! - it's about as loud and fat-sounding as a medium-output humbucker, and it also has flat polepieces. If you put it in the neck with a more moderate pickup in the middle and a bridge humbucker, you would get almost a HSH type range of sounds.

Unfortunately I don't have any other high-output single coils, or high-output humbuckers.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein