Pickups set for fusion

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14572
    carlos said:
    I think a Seymour Duncan Custom Custom would work well.
    The SD Custom 5 Trembucker works wonderfully in a PAC311H.

My nomination is their Jason Becker Perpetual Burn signature humbucker. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JazzthatJazzthat Frets: 163
    ICBM said:
    I'm not sure how much this will help if you're after a set, but I'll offer it anyway - I've got a Duncan SSL-3 Hot Strat pickup which is stupidly high-output for a single coil - the DC resistance is 15.6K! - it's about as loud and fat-sounding as a medium-output humbucker, and it also has flat polepieces. If you put it in the neck with a more moderate pickup in the middle and a bridge humbucker, you would get almost a HSH type range of sounds.

Unfortunately I don't have any other high-output single coils, or high-output humbuckers.
    My head is starting to spin lol . So much choice out there , and I have not much experience in that field at all . 
    I've just checked it on SD website and it says , ssl-3 is meant for middle position? Would that work in either position then ? What would you pair it with ? And how much would you sell it for ?

carlos said:
    I think a Seymour Duncan Custom Custom would work well.
    The SD Custom 5 Trembucker works wonderfully in a PAC311H.

My nomination is their Jason Becker Perpetual Burn signature humbucker. 
    What a coincidence , I was checking that pickup few minutes before . It does sound interesting  .
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72604
    Jazzthat said:

I've just checked it on SD website and it says , ssl-3 is meant for middle position? Would that work in either position then ? What would you pair it with ? And how much would you sell it for ?
    It can be used in any position - they actually recommend it for the bridge. The guitar it came out of had it in the neck.

I would pair it with another one in the middle if you want everything full-on, or a more traditional Strat pickup for contrast... sadly I just sold my SSL-2 though.

£30 including postage.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    Jazzthat said:

It can be used in any position - they actually recommend it for the bridge. The guitar it came out of had it in the neck.

I would pair it with another one in the middle if you want everything full-on, or a more traditional Strat pickup for contrast... sadly I just sold my SSL-2 though.

£30 including postage.
    For £30 I'll give it a go . Going to PM
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14572
    Sorry about the SSL-2. It is exactly what my elderly Ibanez RG200 needed.  :3

IMO, the SSL-3 is best suited to the bridge position. Duncan does offer them as sets of three but there is no attempt to calibrate their output for bridge, middle or neck position.

TBH, ICBM’s Duncan APS-1 would be a better choice. (If it had been an APS-2, I would have snaffled it too.) 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.