What do we think about the 15 series martins?

What's Hot
teradaterada Frets: 5113
I've been thinking about picking one of these up for years but never taken the plunge. 

Any experience with these - in particular the 00, 000 or OM?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I have a 00-15. If you like mahogany it’s a fantastic blues guitar and great for singing too. I wish I’d bought one 30 years back rather than 10! I think it’s a perfectly balanced sound.

The 000 and OM bodies will be the same size the 000 will have a shorter scale.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TforTeleTforTele Frets: 33
    I have a 000 from some years back.  It's mahogany, from just before they started using sapele(?)*, I believe.  I love it.  The matt/satin finish might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I like it.  I guess the lack of any binding makes it likely to show any little bumps, but then as Niels Vitsoe said: "The first mark is a disaster; the second mark is a shame; the third mark is patina."  Granted, he was talking about furniture!

My brother has a sapele one and it sounds fine to me, just looks a bit different.  His has a lot of "patina", bu that's his nature!
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    They are great guitars but you have to like all mahogany guitars. If you’re not sure then but the Sigma version. They are very very close
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    I've been a bit confused by the sapele thing. Ive seen sapele versions in person and am not to fond of the vertical stripe thing that seems to happen. 

Then I've read that the current ones with an 'm' in the name are actually mahogany. 

It is quite confusing really. Ideally I'd not want sapele just for the visual
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3222
    edited April 2020
    Lovely guitars that sound fantastic. I personally don’t get the dislike for the Sapele bodied ones, imo they are in the same tone ballpark and secondhand, amazing value for money. I gigged a 000 one for years and never had any regrets sound-wise. 

One area of concern, Martin don’t side-brace the body, so if it gets knocked and splits, that split will travel. I’ve seen a few with splits and known a few fellow owners that it has happened to at inopportune times. I’m clumsy as hell, so it was for fear that I’d be next to suffer the split that led me to move mine on. Do miss it though, played a dream.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3497
    I really like all Mahogany guiars but IMO they seem to take a bit more time to break in than a guitar with a spruce soundboard.

The 15 series Martins are superb, and I think they seem to get a little overlooked, not to be biased but I think a 0/00 sized all Mahogany guitar is one of the time greats (like a D-18/28).
  • rustneversleepsrustneversleeps Frets: 199
    edited April 2020
    I’ve owned a 00015SM 12 fret for many years.I find a bit different than my other guitars which is a nice change.I know it’s all personal taste etc,but these are superb guitars.Over the years I’ve had many Martin’s.The 15SM’ is going nowhere.Do test drive one. :)
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    i don’t think any guitar smells as good as a 15 series. Another tick in the box 
  • GTCGTC Frets: 265
    edited April 2020
    Andy79 said:
    i don’t think any guitar smells as good as a 15 series. Another tick in the box 
    I had an 00015SML and it did nothing for me so I moved it on. However, my trusted tech Dino loved it - and I don't think he's ever forgiven me.

To my eyes (or nose) it has one significant redeeming feature - from new it has to be the nicest smelling guitar ever!
  • A D15 was my first decent steel string back in 1998. I loved it then and I'd love it now if I still had it. 
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1388
    Don't forget there are also some cheap Tanglewoods and Richwoods if you want to test the waters. I had a Martin 0015 and it sounded great, but live, was weak for what I was using it for. I couldn't justify keeping it at home at the time, but probably should have. Lovely sounding guitars.