I recorded four equal volume clips on my Strat

- Mojo Alnico 5-2 pickups
- No treble bleed

Two clips each on neck and bridge pickups

Neck 1
Neck 2
Bridge 1
Bridge 2

- Volume at 7 and 10 (input sensitivity adjusted accordingly)
- Tone controls at 10

Identify please - which one is volume at 7 and which one is volume at 10

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on any tonal differences.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14649
    Wot? No link?  :3
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 837
    Just added...!
    In your Stratocaster circuit, is the lower tone control connected to the bridge/Treble position pickup?
    That's right. 
    1st Tone: Neck
    2nd Tone: Bridge
    Both at 10
    Examples 1 and 3 sound thinner than examples 2 and 4. This difference could be explained by either the treble bypass in the guitar or the adjustment made to the amplifier controls.
    edited April 2020
    There is no treble bypass in the guitar Funkfingers...

But thank you for your observations - and also for having the honesty and courage to commit yourself by expressing an opinion.

Shall we wait until a couple of other people comment before revealing what each recording is?
  • SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
    edited April 2020
    Clip 1 has more top end that clip 2, so if you have no treble bypass and 'modern' wiring, I'd say Clip 1 was on 10 and 2 on 7
    Clip 3 & 4 are the other way around, but clip 4 you hit the strings a little harder (or it could be where you're volume matching?)
    The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31781
    The treble pass caps on my log volume pots don't really come into their own until I get below halfway. They're certainly not doing much on seven, so although I'll have a listen later I'm not expecting a huge and obvious difference. 

Also, you haven't stated the value, there's a vast difference in the effect between say a 180pf and a 1000pf cap. 
    Maybe I am being too pedantic about terminology? 

A passive treble roll-off control is a bleed. The term bleed is often erroneously applied to a bypass. 

To my ears, some of your audio examples have an unpleasant trebly edge. This is why I asked about a tone control in circuit for the bridge position pickup.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72858
    Do you mean treble bleed (what a tone control does) or treble pass (a small cap on the volume control to let top-end through and reduce treble loss as you turn down)? I ask because almost everyone calls a treble pass "treble bleed", which is exactly what it does *not* do...

The other complicating factor is that the treble loss is not caused by the volume pot, it's caused by the cable to whatever the guitar is plugged into, and the input impedance of that - so it varies. If you're using a short cable into a high-impedance buffer, you may not notice much at all.

1 and 3 sound brighter than 2 and 4, so they will be the ones on 10 if there's no treble pass cap.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I mean a treble by-pass circuit - designed to avoid the loss of treble associated with lowering the volume control. This guitar doesn’t have one...

edited April 2020
    jaymenon said:
    This guitar doesn’t have one.
    This has registered, already, my life.

ICBM said:
    1 and 3 sound brighter than 2 and 4, so they will be the ones on 10 if there's no treble pass cap.
    I specifically (and pedantically) used the adjective "thinner" because I hear examples 1 and 3 as lacking in lower frequencies rather than having additional high ones.

Think of the way that a studio sound engineer might equalise an acoustic guitar to work better in a full band arrangement by removing low end to leave space for bass guitar and kick drum.
    On many fora, the ‘big boys’ will never commit themselves - respect to you all.

And you gentlemen got it right -I’m really impressed...! 

Clips one and three have the volume control at 10.

Clips two and four have the volume control at 7.

I was however very struck by how subtle the differences are when the volumes (input gain on my amp) are equalised.

So when turning the volume down on my Strat, the associated perceived loss of treble is perhaps due to the reduced loudness itself - and might therefore to some degree be a psychoacoustic phenomenon.  

And that means that treble pass circuits compensate for this psychoacoustic phenomenon, rather than any really significant loss of treble...
    jaymenon said:
    That was in response to ICBM and P90Fool’s comments
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72858
    jaymenon said:

On many fora, the ‘big boys’ will never commit themselves - respect to you all.

And you gentlemen got it right -I’m really impressed...! 

Clips one and three have the volume control at 10.

Clips two and four have the volume control at 7.
    I'm always willing to have a go - you can often learn as much by being wrong as being right :). But in fact this one was pretty clear, even if subtle. I should probably say that I do these kinds of listening exercises through proper hi-fi speakers at head height.

jaymenon said:

I was however very struck by how subtle the differences are when the volumes (input gain on my amp) are equalised.

So when turning the volume down on my Strat, the associated perceived loss of treble is perhaps due to the reduced loudness itself - and might therefore to some degree be a psychoacoustic phenomenon.  

And that means that treble pass circuits compensate for this psychoacoustic phenomenon, rather than any really significant loss of treble...
    That is also a factor I think - but not the main one. The main effect is real, but is cable-dependent. If you're using a decent quality cable under 10', into a 1M input impedance, it doesn't make a huge difference. Replace that with a 20' cable - or worse, two 20' cables with a bypassed true-bypass pedal in the middle, into the same 1M impedance and you will start to hear much more treble loss.

It's simply caused by the capacitance of the cable, which is in parallel with the lower part of the volume pot track, and to some extent the amp or pedal input impedance, which is also in parallel with that at the other end of the cable. This acts like a small tone control turned down.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Good valve amplifier input/gain stages respond dynamically to the signal strength sent to them. Players like me exploit this phenomenon to control overdrive saturation.

There is definitely a psychological component to the phenomenon. Some players desire that the volume should remain constant even when the amplifier's contribution increases. (i.e. The harmonic overtones created beyond the onset of signal clipping.) IMO, maintaining constant levels are what compression, limiting and compansion processors are for.
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31781
    jaymenon said:
    jaymenon said:
    That was in response to ICBM and P90Fool’s comments
    Ah ok, sorry, I misread the OP. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14584
    edited April 2020 tFB Trader
    gringopig said:
    I'm not a fan of treble bleed. I have it on a Telecaster but like the tone darkening with the volume turned down.

I agree - with a good guitar and a good taper on the pots the variation is subtle but effective and certainly controls the gain on the amp as per @Funkfingers comments earlier - And such variations is where the soul and emotion is
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    Turning volume down is a concept I'm unfamiliar with.