Advice please re load box & cab sim to record my amp and fx into GarageBand on a Mac.

What's Hot
jimkehoejimkehoe Frets: 208
edited April 2020 in Studio & Recording
I realise that this a can of worms/how long is a piece of string type query but here goes.
I currently have a tele, Helix fx and a Victory V40 deluxe 1x12 combo.
I am very happy with the noise this combination produces, not necessary the noise that I produce though!
I have to say that I predominantly play acoustic these days and in normal times often accompany a female singer. My electric playing is home only.
In these crazy times I have been Exchanging song ideas with my singer using my own recordings which I recorded via Scarlett 212i into my iPad Pro using GarageBand. I use the K&K in the acoustic through a stand alone preamp/fx unit into the Scarlett and then into GarageBand and am impressed with the resulting recording.
I would like to be able to do the same using my electric set up as well as attenuate the amp to whisper levels on occasion.
I think the Two rock torpedo reload would do the trick but am not sure.
Would it and what are the alternatives. I should add that I can’t really justify any more than a £350/400 budget second-hand and it will need to work with the other gear I’ve mentioned.

Any suggestions? Help ? Advice?

Many thanks in advance.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    edited April 2020
    I've get a torpedo Reload. Great thing is that it comes with WOS and for playing at low levels with an actual amp, I just think it's hard to beat Amp into loadbox into interface into DAW and IR's.

Its how I play 95% of the time.

If you dont need the pseudo attenuation feature of the Reload, a Suhr Reactive load (which I also own) sounds excellent and is cheaper, ditto the Captor which is cheaper again and will handle a V40 all day.
  • jimkehoejimkehoe Frets: 208
    tekbow said:
    I've get a torpedo Reload. Great thing is that it comes with WOS and for playing at low levels with an actual amp, I just think it's hard to beat Amp into loadbox into interface into DAW and IR's.

Its how I play 95% of the time.

If you dont need the pseudo attenuation feature of the Reload, a Suhr Reactive load (which I also own) sounds excellent and is cheaper, ditto the Captor which is cheaper again and will handle a V40 all day.
    Brilliant thanks for the advice. I’ll look into each of the options you mention.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Worth noting the Two Notes Captor comes with Wall of Sound.

Since I already had if via the Reload, I got the Suhr.
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    I have the Captor. It's ace!
    How much attenuation is -20db?
    -3db is like the difference between 100w and 50w which isnt a lot of actual volume difference.

So I guess -18db would be difference between 100w and like 3w-ish?
    tekbow said:
    -3db is like the difference between 100w and 50w which isnt a lot of actual volume difference.

So I guess -18db would be difference between 100w and like 3w-ish?
    Thanks
    Does the captor work in Garageband?

jimkehoe said:
    Does the captor work in Garageband?

Well, itll send a direct signal from the amp you can apply speaker emulation (IR's) to, or it has a analog speaker emulated out, which I've never thought sounded great in demo's
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    jimkehoe said:
    How much attenuation is -20db?
    @jimkehoe I haven't used it as an attenuator. I use it without a cab for recording via my Focusrite with 48v phantom power
    Got to say that the Two Notes Captor X looks fascinating although apparently not available yet and more than I intend to spend.

Having spent sometime on Garageband today I was surprised at how reasonable the in house amps etc are.
    Obviously not the real thing or close but pretty good for my noodling and the amount of use on Garageband in more normal times (minimal).

Maybe I should also explore software add ons amps etc that are Garageband compatible.

Another rabbit hole to scramble down!
  • Amplitube Custom Shop. It's free, and you can then add amp flavours afterwards if you don't like the standard models (Blackface and Marshall 800 style)
    Amplitube Custom Shop. It's free, and you can then add amp flavours afterwards if you don't like the standard models (Blackface and Marshall 800 style)
    Superb. I’ll give that a go. 
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    You could experiment with close mic'ing your amp and coddling the cab with pillows and duvets. I've taken that approach with my stupidly loud Matamp and it allows me to turn the amp up louder than I would have expected at home. Obviously you sacrifice any sort of room sound but this could be added in post with some verb/delay plugins. It also still gives the 'feel' of playing with an amp (I can't speak for loadboxes/attenuators/IR etc). It's also free!
    rico said:
    You could experiment with close mic'ing your amp and coddling the cab with pillows and duvets. I've taken that approach with my stupidly loud Matamp and it allows me to turn the amp up louder than I would have expected at home. Obviously you sacrifice any sort of room sound but this could be added in post with some verb/delay plugins. It also still gives the 'feel' of playing with an amp (I can't speak for loadboxes/attenuators/IR etc). It's also free!
    Thanks @rico. However I think in our relatively small cottage the wife and dog would object even to that!
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    jimkehoe said:
    rico said:
    Thanks @rico. However I think in our relatively small cottage the wife and dog would object even to that!
    It's worth a try. We live in a flat with neighbours above, below and on one side and so far so quiet!
    edited April 2020
    I used to be indecisive but now I’m not so sure !

I hopefully have an Atomic Amplifire-box en route care of a deal with a fellow forumite.

However I would still like the option of recording my fx and amp set up into GarageBand via my Scarlett 2i2 interface without using any mics and without using other software/ir’s etc within the Mac/GarageBand. I no longer need attenuation as long as the solution provides a safe suitable load that the amp can run without the speaker connected.

The sounds I favour is predominantly clean up to gritty overdriven americana/blues rock ish, so not shred or metal which it seems what everyone Demi’s any product with on you tube etc these days.

All suggestions gratefully accepted and considered.