Sanding fretboard - advise needed

What's Hot
So , I am slowly  doing up old pac112 . I'd like to sand neck and fretboard in between frets and re-coat once that it's done with tru oil , and possibly lacquer the whole neck . 
I have never done anything like this , so I am ok to do that or it is a bad idea to sand in between frets?
If so what best method and what materials do I need for this?  
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SargeSarge Frets: 2403
    Sanding is tricky, but a scraping is effective and easy.
    You'll need a new stanley blade and with 2 hands scrape from fret to fret, let the fret stop the blade, don't dig too deep, just medium light, even pressure. 
    You could glue sandpaper to one side of a flat stick like a lolly stick and go carefully parallel to the frets.

You can Tru Oil the fretboard, don't worry about getting it on the frets, a cottin bud dipped, but not dripping, in acetone will clean of any oil. 
  • JazzthatJazzthat Frets: 163
    Sarge said:
    Sanding is tricky, but a scraping is effective and easy.
    You'll need a new stanley blade and with 2 hands scrape from fret to fret, let the fret stop the blade, don't dig too deep, just medium light, even pressure. 
    You could glue sandpaper to one side of a flat stick like a lolly stick and go carefully parallel to the frets.

You can Tru Oil the fretboard, don't worry about getting it on the frets, a cottin bud dipped, but not dripping, in acetone will clean of any oil. 
    Thanks buddy . I forgot to mentioned that the fretboard is scratched here and there , and it looks too me like previous owner must have used Stanley blade in there . 
    So is wet sanding a bad idea or too difficult ? 
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2403
    Wet sanding can can soak into the maple discolouring it and leaving more sanding work to remove it.
    Scraping is an established method and not as drastic as it sounds.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JazzthatJazzthat Frets: 163
    Sarge said:
    Wet sanding can can soak into the maple discolouring it and leaving more sanding work to remove it.
    Scraping is an established method and not as drastic as it sounds.

Thanks Sarge , that is working really really well!!