Strat wiring question......4 way switch?

I don't particularly like the bridge/middle combination in a Strat, but am happy with the rest so would like to try wiring for, neck, neck/middle, middle, bridge, with tone for neck and bridge, as an experiment...
Can I do this with a 4 way blade switch?
A photo of a diagram would be nice!

Thanks chaps and chapesses!
Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    Yes, but you will also need an extra tone cap, since you can’t use the switch to select the tone controls any more - the neck and middle pickups will need to use both sides of the switch in position 2, unless you want no tone control in that position - so the neck and bridge pickups will need independent ones. This has the advantage that you can use different caps, .047 for the neck and .022 for the bridge works well.

I don’t have a diagram but it should be easy to work out - just connect both switch rotors to the volume control and the terminals in each position to the pickups you want on.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14456
    paulnb57 said:
    I don't particularly like the bridge/middle combination in a Strat
    Obvious but necessary questions.
    1. What pickups do you have in your Stratocaster? SSS, HSS, HSH, something else? 
    2. How are the tone pots connected? Neck/Middle, Neck/Bridge, Neck/Middle+Bridge, something else?
    3. If the bridge position pickup is a high output single coil, does it have a coil tap?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    edited April 2020
    paulnb57 said:
    I don't particularly like the bridge/middle combination in a Strat
    Obvious but necessary questions.
    1. What pickups do you have in your Stratocaster? SSS, HSS, HSH, something else? 
    2. How are the tone pots connected? Neck/Middle, Neck/Bridge, Neck/Middle+Bridge, something else?
    3. If the bridge position pickup is a high output single coil, does it have a coil tap?

1. 3 Singles
    2. Neck and Bridge
    3 No and no!....

Ill probably stick with the 5 way! I’snot compulsory to use the bridge and middle together, I just wondered if it were possible...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    paulnb57 said:

Ill probably stick with the 5 way! I’snot compulsory to use the bridge and middle together, I just wondered if it were possible...
    It definitely is. This is one of the standard requests, although it’s more common to want a 3-way giving neck/neck+middle/bridge+middle, or a 4-way giving those plus neck+bridge in the third position.

A remarkable number of Strat players never use the middle pickup, and quite a lot never use the bridge even with a tone control.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein