Budget or not top of range P bass recommendation?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72356
    [Ibanez AVNB1FE - Compact Acoustic Electric Bass]
    I liked it until I saw the crappy plastic combination jack/XLR plate in the side - always the sign of a cheap and nasty electronics package. The control panel is not inspiring of quality either. A shame, since the instrument itself looks quite nice and I'd be interested in one with just a pickup and at most a decent built-in buffer.

Probably even more so than with a guitar, there is no onboard preamp that's going to sound as good as a decent outboard one, and it will never be as good as a proper DI box either.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1388
    @ICBM I held back from it so far. I think I might go for something more conventional.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14431
    I might go for something more conventional.
    This pretty much brings the Discussion back to where it began. Fender-derived solidbody electric bass guitar, flatwound strings, Jamerson-inspired mute.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    I might go for something more conventional.
    This pretty much brings the Discussion back to where it began. Fender-derived solidbody electric bass guitar, flatwound strings, Jamerson-inspired mute.

I think so yes, but how cheap to go is another thing, or what my ceiling is (depending on what I consider cheap). It would only be for home use. I did see a Vintage brand Jaco/Fender copy online, so could go for something like that, There's also a cheap Revelation fretless on Reverb too. Flatwounds for sure too. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72356
    You really should use flatwounds or at the very least rolled/groundwounds on a fretless. I know, Jaco and all that, but roundwounds just tear up the fingerboard - even ebony - and your fingertips too much, and in my opinion just sound bad on one (I know, Jaco and all that...).

And I say that as a confirmed roundwound user (rolled/ground at a push) on a fretted bass.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    IIRC Jaco coated his fingerboards with marine epoxy ( had to google that, presumably its for waterproofing boats) so it wasn't strings on rosewood.  
    Apart from the knackering it has been given my son's ( fretted) Vintage Jazz is certainly on a par with similar basses in the price range and above. I'm not especially keen on the relic job on the fretless one although otherwise I like the look.   
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    IIRC Jaco coated his fingerboards with marine epoxy ( had to google that, presumably its for waterproofing boats) so it wasn't strings on rosewood.  
    Apart from the knackering it has been given my son's ( fretted) Vintage Jazz is certainly on a par with similar basses in the price range and above. I'm not especially keen on the relic job on the fretless one although otherwise I like the look.   
    Wouldn't be too bothered about looks for now, as it would be for home use. I would like to try and play bass live again at some point, but will go for a regular fretted bass if that happens.
    Ordered a Vintage V4 p bass. New prices seem to vary a lot online so I got it for cheap enough.