Is T Cut the same as Maguiers

What's Hot
Just about to refinish Miss Munckee's tele (in pale lilac) am spraying over the existing finish then clear coating.  Before polishing most US videos use Maguiers polishing compound prior to a car polish - is T Cut the same stuff roughly?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    T cut is fine fella!...
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16725
    Roughly so, it will get you where you need to be
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12390
    Terrific cheers chaps.
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2403
    T-cut is much too coarse for a final gloss finish, it cuts, not polishes.
    Farecla G3 then Maguires Ultimate Compound gets me far better results than tcut ever will. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    I've drank both T-Cut and Magners.

I prefer the cider.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Like @Sarge , T- cut is far too abrasive for me.  I always use Meguiers Ultimate Compound.
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3297
    edited April 2020 tFB Trader
    Ferecla g3 then 3m finesse it, job done 

T cut isn't like any of them tbh 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16725
    Yes, T-cut is coarser... But it will get you to high gloss.  It won't get you to swirl free high gloss and if you were using it on black that would show.   

You won't get a swirl free high gloss finish on black with any single product.

It's not the best cutting/polishing compound, but in a lockdown situation on a lilac guitar I think it would be fine.   If you want to get the superhigh gloss then you will only need one other polishing compound to get there
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12390
    WezV said:
    Yes, T-cut is coarser... But it will get you to high gloss.  It won't get you to swirl free high gloss and if you were using it on black that would show.   

You won't get a swirl free high gloss finish on black with any single product.

It's not the best cutting/polishing compound, but in a lockdown situation on a lilac guitar I think it would be fine.   If you want to get the superhigh gloss then you will only need one other polishing compound to get there
    I’m not stripping and refinishing just spraying over the existing. Just want it to look good enough for my daughter. For my own I never used any compound and was happy with it but it was more satin than gloss. 

T cut sounds fine thanks everyone.