Scott Walker Japanese neck. joint

What's Hot
Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
edited April 2020 in Making & Modding
I am sure a lot of interested builders have seen this, but I have been using the lockdown to catch up on luthier built guitars really out of interest to see what is going on and this caught my eye. In another video, you have to ask why, as it sounds pretty Meh (neither classic jazz sound or contemporary) although that could be the clip-on jazz pickup. It an interesting technique and his guitars look very nice. 

https://youtu.be/wGhzm74XCnk

But then there is the obligatory 2-3 year waiting list which always kills any chance of me sustaining my interest that long :-)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    edited April 2020
    Photos don’t show for me....all good now!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    screwed the link now working 

• barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 630
    How it sounds is always going to be secondary with a guitar like that, I think. His guitars are generally a bit ornate for my taste, but I did think the Solace was a cool design. Michael Watts might be along in a bit to tell you what he thought of the Katana.
    Yeah probably needs a good demo, to be honest as the one I found was sort of straight then through a distortion channel/fuzz which is probably not the best showcase for a jazz clip on Johnny Smith pickup.

Yeah the Solace had a nice junior uncluttered vibe a lot of his work like a lot of the small build luthiers is as you say a bit ornate. 

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3497
    barnstorm said:
    How it sounds is always going to be secondary with a guitar like that, I think. His guitars are generally a bit ornate for my taste, but I did think the Solace was a cool design. Michael Watts might be along in a bit to tell you what he thought of the Katana.

I don't know about your ears, but I thought the Katana in all the video clips I've heard make the guitar sound exceptional.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 630
    That wasn't really meant as a knock – I was just saying that the unusual construction and woodworking is the starting point, and the reason that anybody might spend £7k on the guitar.
    To be fair I only heard some really bad demo of the Katana I have since heard Michael Watts TNAG video sounds pretty good bite  for a neck pickup. So yeah nice