Respirators

What's Hot
I think I know the answer to this but I'll ask anyway, just in case!

I have a 3M 4255 respirator that is about 3 years old and has just been sat on a shelf during this period. Is this still good/safe to use if applying a nitro finish? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SargeSarge Frets: 2403
    If you can smell anything through the filter while wearing it, no. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2926
    tFB Trader
    Please don't hold me to this for your own safety but I thought activated carbon filters lasted till they were basically clogged. Like the ones in my airfed setup specify life in hours of use, not in time. You could search for a data sheet from 3M though, they might specify shelf life or something of the sort.
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    There should be a use-by-date inkjetted onto the cartridges.  It's usually quite a long time...
    There should be a use-by-date inkjetted onto the cartridges.  It's usually quite a long time...

Correction - there's probably a 'Made on' date and that refers you back to the Datasheet as @Corvus ; says 

Correction - there's probably a 'Made on' date and that refers you back to the Datasheet as @Corvus ; says 

Correction correction - the datasheet does refer to a Use-by-date so there should be one printed on it:

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/681573O/gb-eur-4000-half-mask-tds.pdf
  • wwwwww Frets: 72

I can't seem to find a use-by date on the respirator. Need to get my glasses on!