Jazzmaster GAS

What's Hot

Comments

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8196
    If we’re doing pictures....

Beautiful. Inca? 
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1654
    Jeez, that's glorious as well. They seem to 'wear' a pretty fancy finish a lot better than a Strat. What's the manufacturer?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3835
    edited April 2020
    Well, ok. If we're doing pictures, here's mine (thin skin 62 reissue from 2008)

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    I've been using 10s on Jazzmasters since 1991. I've never encountered any issues along the way.

While the Staytrem is definitely the better option over the stock bridge, if you don't want to spend the money immediately, why not try some Kilopoise grease on the adjuster screws? It's a hard, very viscous grease designed to allow adjustment but not move by vibration. I used to use it on laser optic tuning gimbals (where even the tiniest amount of movement is noticeable) and it held things in place. I'm kinda surprised it isn't used more often on guitars. I bought some Kilopoise in a syringe off eBay for around a fiver a few years ago.

As for the grooves on the standard bridge, some people manage to dislodge the strings by playing heavily. I guess I must be quite a gentle player, as I think I have only done this once in almost thirty years! 

My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    Has the Mastery vibrato/bridge - can't recommend enough. I know @GavRichList had some issues with his Mastery bridge, but so far so good with mine. Also has Lindy Fralin +5% pickups which I highly recommend. I put a little shim in the neck but it could probably do with a bit more as the action is a touch high above the 12th fret. 

Jazzmasters get a bad wrap because they're often found in shops poorly set up with thin strings and bad pickups (see MIJ reissues). With a good set up/bridge, heavier strings and the right pickups, there's very little these wonderful guitars can't do! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27260
    Hattigol said:
    If we’re doing pictures....
    <snip>
    Beautiful. Inca? 
    Yep, good spot :)

Dan_Halen said:
    Jeez, that's glorious as well. They seem to 'wear' a pretty fancy finish a lot better than a Strat. What's the manufacturer?
    It's an MJT build I did about 4 years ago. Musikraft neck, MJT body & finish, AVRI Trem with Staytrem gubbins & bridge, Mojo pickups and mid-60's scratchplate. It's frickin glorious and the spec is perfect for my tastes. The old US-made AV65 series is probably the closest thing Fender have done.

It's so bright it'll strip paint if you're not careful, but it's like nothing else with the tone on 7, and you have that extra headroom if you want more bite from dark-sounding pedals or whatever.

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    wrong thread bruv
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7216
    Loobs said:
    wrong thread bruv
    Hahahaha
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3409
    edited April 2020
    I've got a Squier Mascis JM with 10s on it. All good. TOM bridge and slightly different trem position help a bit I think. 

My tech put a 0.5 stewmac shim into the neck pocket as the action was high at the dusty end, even with the bridge screwed all the way down. It plays brilliantly and sounds great.
    NelsonP said:
    I've got a Squier Mascis JM with 10s on it. All good. TOM bridge and slightly different trem position help a bit I think. 

My tech put a 0.5 stewmac shim into the neck pocket as the action was high at the dusty end, even with the bridge screwed all the way down. It plays and sounds great.
    Ah, interesting. The .5 degree one? Who's your tech and does he/she have any more? My only option is to order one from the US. 
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    edited April 2020
    Pics eh?

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1207
    Dan_Halen said:

Can you get a Jazzmaster fairly low and would 9.5/10s work?
    I can get a low action with 10s on a 7.25" radius neck with a Staytrem bridge. No issues. So I'd imagine just as easy on a 9.5" neck.
    Babones said:
    Dan_Halen said:

Can you get a Jazzmaster fairly low and would 9.5/10s work?
    I can get a low action with 10s on a 7.25" radius neck with a Staytrem bridge. No issues. So I'd imagine just as easy on a 9.5" neck.
    Mine is 9.5" radius with a Staytrem and 9's are honestly no issue at all.
    edited April 2020
    But why would you want to play 9s, unless you have the hands of a 5-year-old child? Or you're Steve Vai? 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Loobs said:
    But why would you want to play 9s, unless you have the hands of a 5-year-old child? Or you're Steve Vai? 
    Because heavy strings are for people with an inferiority complex?

Why work harder? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1654
    Loobs said:
    Ah, the old heavy strings are manly one. Only turned 40 last year and my hands are pretty fucked already unfortunately. I'd rather use a gauge that is comfortable rather than painful and less likely to take whatever dexterity I have left from me. Might as well enjoy the guitar for as long as I can rather than just be in pain when playing and have to knock it on the head in the next couple of years.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3409
    edited April 2020
    Loobs said:
    NelsonP said:

My tech put a 0.5 stewmac shim into the neck pocket as the action was high at the dusty end, even with the bridge screwed all the way down. It plays and sounds great.
    Ah, interesting. The .5 degree one? Who's your tech and does he/she have any more? My only option is to order one from the US. 
    Yes the  0.5 degree one - it's all it needed. I had it done by Dan aka "The Guitar Engineer" in Berkhamsted. Lovely job he did too.

And since we are posting pics:

• gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7216
    gringopig said:
    Pics eh?

1964 and now with added Staytrem bridge and tremelo arm/collet

I’ll take this one, thanks