Soldering tips

What's Hot
Any words of wisdom for someone who hasn't touched a soldering iron in two decades? Going to attempt to replace a CRL switch in a 72 thinline later, what should I be careful of?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    Hold the cold end?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • greggreg66greggreg66 Frets: 503
    I'm no soldering pro by any means, but it makes life a lot easier to use flux - and don't burn anything by heating the component up for too long with the iron. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14434
    bloomer said:
    CRL switch in a 72 thinline … what should I be careful of?
    The original connections may have been tied through the switch contact terminals rather than just poked into the gaps. Narrow nosed tweezers would help to extract the cable ends.

Often, there is a sequence in which soldering work is easiest to perform. On a three-way lever selector switch, attach the jumper connector wire(s) before the “hot” conductors from the pickups. 

It helps to allow for strain relief in the pickup output cables. Avoid introducing awkward twists or bends in the cable run.

If your humbucker output cables have braided wire screening, prevent this from accidentally coming into contact with any metal parts in the signal path. If necessary, wrap insulation tape over the braid.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bloomerbloomer Frets: 209
    Thanks chaps, just having a plate of cheese and biscuits before I begin, this sort of thing shouldn't be attempted on an empty stomach.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom