PSA: who was it that was after a NR firebird?

TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3277
I recall that someone here was fairly recently on the hunt for a non-reverse firebird. I was just browsing guitar guitar and noticed they’ve a refinished ‘65 that they’ve reduced to £2799 -which seems pretty reasonable to me. Here’s the link if it’s of use to anyone: 
https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/pxp191018349990001--gibson-1965-firebird-iii-refinished-aged-white-pre-owned
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5452
    well, I want one someday... nice example that too... but not a great time for new acquisitions sadly!
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3277
    Whitecat said:
    well, I want one someday... nice example that too... but not a great time for new acquisitions sadly!
    Absolutely, I can see someone being able to make a reasonable offer on this if they’ve the disposable income -the latter might be the greatest hurdle.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14430
    tFB Trader
    I'm not a Firebird fan - More so because they just don't feel comfortable in my hands - But I think they can look cool - That is however the version I would hope to bond with - And players grade would allow a few tweaks if required - ie I'd re-wire for the 3 way switch to operate in a conventional neck/bridge format - Master tone - 3 vol pots (1 for each pick-up) so I can dial in the middle pick-up as required
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3277
    I'm not a Firebird fan - More so because they just don't feel comfortable in my hands - But I think they can look cool - That is however the version I would hope to bond with - And players grade would allow a few tweaks if required - ie I'd re-wire for the 3 way switch to operate in a conventional neck/bridge format - Master tone - 3 vol pots (1 for each pick-up) so I can dial in the middle pick-up as required
    The run of studio nr’s Gibson did a few years back had a five-way switch, was very cool. That’d be another option.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1391
    that's v v nice and a good price imo. quality of finish would be interesting to see but impossible to tell from pics really. be aware that the neck on these are unfashionably narrow! 
    i found that the mid pickup just doesn't sound good for me in any config so it's grounded out and i have regular bridge/neck 50s wiring with mine. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14430
    tFB Trader
    bbill335 said:
    that's v v nice and a good price imo. quality of finish would be interesting to see but impossible to tell from pics really. be aware that the neck on these are unfashionably narrow! 
    i found that the mid pickup just doesn't sound good for me in any config so it's grounded out and i have regular bridge/neck 50s wiring with mine. 
    That is probably the best bet - Part of me was thinking about bringing in the middle p/up to work with N or B as required, so like position 2 + 4 on a Strat - But I suspect in reality it won't function as required 
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8196
    Looking at that Guitar Guitar one, shouldn't the pick-ups be kind of perpendicular to the strings? Or at least close?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14582
    The strings are out of alignment. 

With the “lightning bolt” bridge, the idea is to start your own string notches with a file. 

It is possible that the bridge is fine and that the pickguard is off centre. 

Photograph 7 of 8 gives the impression that the neck joint is off centre by more than could be explained by shrinkage. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1391
    bbill335 said: i found that the mid pickup just doesn't sound good for me in any config so it's grounded out and i have regular bridge/neck 50s wiring with mine. 
    That is probably the best bet - Part of me was thinking about bringing in the middle p/up to work with N or B as required, so like position 2 + 4 on a Strat - But I suspect in reality it won't function as required 
    could feasibly put the mid pickup on a switching pot, but then i'd have to ditch an original pot (they all work fine despite being 55 years old!).