Polishing out surface scratches

What's Hot
jfraze5150jfraze5150 Frets: 262
edited April 2020 in Making & Modding
Is it possible to polish out surface scratches?

Ive got a 2013 American Deluxe Ash Telecaster in white blonde. I love the finish and grain. I’ve got some surface scratches on it. Superficial and I’m pretty sure it’s just in the finish and not the paint. Is it possible to polish surface scratches out? Any recommendations?

Edit - I tried to take pictures but I can't get them to show up in them so that just highlights how surface they are. But I know they're there and they annoy me greatly. I posted in here as I thought I'd get more luck. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• gary_macgary_mac Frets: 66
    If you can see them but not feel them, then they can normally be polished out fairly easily. I've used a few different products over the years, some expensive and some off the shelf car paint cutting compounds. 
    T cut. Meguirs etc.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jfraze5150jfraze5150 Frets: 262
    gary_mac said:
    If you can see them but not feel them, then they can normally be polished out fairly easily. I've used a few different products over the years, some expensive and some off the shelf car paint cutting compounds. 
    T cut. Meguirs etc.
    Yeah. That’s good advice. I used T-Cut. Applied with one cloth. Polished off with another. Repeated that until I could barely seem them at all. 
  • jfraze5150jfraze5150 Frets: 262

• Rich210Rich210 Frets: 577
    Hi pall, I've done this a fair bit myself! I tarter up a friend's guitar which was ostensibly a wreck and it turned out great. 

First thing to do is prep the surface with some isopropyl alcohol. 

Then look on eBay for a bar of blue clay. The clay gets all the shit off and makes the paint work super clean and shiny. This will give you the best surface to work on.

Next up get a couple of different grades of polish, probably medium and light compound, or heavy and medium depending on the scratches.

Next up get to work in up and down and left and right motions with the polish and new fibre cloth. Don't go in circles you'll get swirl marks. 

Less is always more with the compound and the elbow grease. Start with the lightest compound and work up if necessary. 

Finish off with the lightest compound and a wipe down with the IPA. You could then put a coat of wax on it. I use collnide in a bottle, and it looks the biz.