Making neck relief tool

What's Hot
I am looking for a technical advise to make my own tool for precision neck relief , similar to stewmac . 
Their tool I believe , is resting on 1st and 12th fret while gauge touching fret in the middle of it .

Now , when I do a neck relief , I put capo on. 1st fret and touch with my finger on approx 17th fret or where the body meets the neck .

Does it matter then , where the measurement is taking from ? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JazzthatJazzthat Frets: 163
    That's roughly  what I want to make 

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7072
    tFB Trader
    I'd say don't sweat it. Just introduce as much relief as you need to stop fret buzz on the first few frets. No need to measure.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    I'd say don't sweat it. Just introduce as much relief as you need to stop fret buzz on the first few frets. No need to measure.
    Oh I know that . I am just fancy a precision tool for this to make that relief I like  the same each time . 
    Plus it won't cost me to make , and it will be fun !
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 724
    edited April 2020
    I’d say if you have the tools to make one, I’d make the position of the dial gauge movable and lockable so you could find the center of the relief. I’ve one lowden that I measure on the 5/6th and another on the 6/7th. On those I measure from the 1st to the 13th, so not sure I’d want one that measures from the 1st to 17th - that won’t work on a acoustic - but a shorter one would work on everything. Personally I’d mill a section out of a cheap straight edge and make a locking and sliding clamp for the gauge. 

I’m with you. I’ve always fancied something like this, but I’m anal about this sort of thing. And in honesty I’ve finally started to get a feel by touch and playing the guitar to know I’m where I want to be or if it need adjusting. 
    edited April 2020
    Cheers mate . I was thinking about movable gauge as well as it may be future proof for different scales . 
    Thanks for explaining of  using such tool in different guitars . That makes sens and would be a bit of waste of time making it for just one particular scale or guitar . 
    I also don't like the idea of having metal feet resting on frets , as this may scratch them easily . Typically this tool likely would be use after fret leveling etc . 
    So I have come up with adding plastic feet and skim them flat .
    I have yet to draw a complete picture of it in my head , so any clever ideas you guys may have are much appreciated .
    Jazzthat said:
    Cheers mate . I was thinking about movable gauge as well as it may be future proof for different scales . 
    Thanks for explaining of  using such tool in different guitars . That makes sens and would be a bit of waste of time making it for just one particular scale or guitar . 
    I also don't like the idea of having metal feet resting on frets , as this may scratch them easily . Typically this tool likely would be use after fret leveling etc . 
    I have yet to draw a complete picture of it in my head , so any clever ideas you guys may have are much appreciated .
    If it helps, I’ve used a engineers straight edge many many times and never marked the frets. Like the idea but maybe over thinking it? And they may give a little? Though I guess Delrin is pretty hard. As long as the finish is good and no sharp burs etc, it should be fine in steel. Ally could work if it was stiff enough? 

I miss my lathe and mill :(

have fun :)
    brucegill said:
    Jazzthat said:
    If it helps, I’ve used a engineers straight edge many many times and never marked the frets. Like the idea but maybe over thinking it? And they may give a little? Though I guess Delrin is pretty hard. As long as the finish is good and no sharp burs etc, it should be fine in steel. Ally could work if it was stiff enough? 

I miss my lathe and mill :(

have fun :)
    I will probably make it out of aluminium , but then again , I see what I think would work for me best. 
    Thank buddy 
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3672
    Based on the set up that Steve did on my PRS Studio 22 I’d say that, however he says to do it, then that’s the way to do it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16775
    I have one that almost never gets used.... I like to be able to measure sometimes but almost always do it by feel
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I was a bit itchy , and couldn't wait anymore so i have now done my precision neck relief tool .

I like it how it turned out ! 

Thanks @brucegill ; for suggestions , all taken in consideration . 

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7072
    tFB Trader
    That looks very nicely made indeed!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3301
    tFB Trader
    Overkill imo, if you want to get technical a straight edge and feeler gauge but I very rarely bother and do mine by eye and feel
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1352
    Wow, nice!!
    Nice one! Looks great :)
    Overkill imo, if you want to get technical a straight edge and feeler gauge but I very rarely bother and do mine by eye and feel
    We all know , this is an overkill tool . I only made one , because I could and didn't cost me a penny . 
    On the other hand I believe in accuracy rather than eye measurement ( I work in precision engineering ) and if I  had a chance and money , I would pleck my frets rather than doing it by hand . 

I kind of enjoy making my own handy tools and the fun it involves  , and undoubtedly you get bang on results within 0.01 every time . 
    Those who worked with tight tolerances would know how important it is sometimes
     I shall register it as a patented tool before stewmac lays his hands on it lol
    ...only joking 
    And thanks for all comments and advice . 
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2429
    Since when has accuracy been overkill? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DougDoug Frets: 172
    edited April 2020
    Can some of the  forum Luthiers please explain 'neck relief' and what does it acheive?, having the maximum string 'envelope' around the 7th~9th frets?, if I'm playing around the 15th/17th/ and above?. I like a low buzz free action and set the neck as straight as possible. So why should I have 'Relief' rather than a perfectly straight neck?

Cheers.