How do you know if you have overcooked your nut slotting?

What's Hot
Are there tell tale signs? I'm a real newbie to the art of sorting nuts.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    If the string is too low relative to the first fret.

Fret the string at the third fret and look at the gap between the string and the first fret - it should be tiny, but there should be one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• WezVWezV Frets: 16681
    It will buzz on the first fret.   Stop just before it does
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 720
    When your getting close, put a pencil mark along the slot - you can then see you have the ramp correct and know when you’ve actually taken some off the front edge. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 720
    edited April 2020
    axisus said:
    Are there tell tale signs? I'm a real newbie to the art of sorting nuts.
    When you swear out load and try and find the superglue. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    Somewhere around 30 thou on the lower E and 20 thou on the top E, with the others on a sliding scale between these values, is likely to be as low as you want to go until you know your guitar and your personal choice well enough.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    Whistler said:
    Somewhere around 30 thou on the lower E and 20 thou on the top E, with the others on a sliding scale between these values, is likely to be as low as you want to go until you know your guitar and your personal choice well enough.
    30 thou - is that 0.03? (sorry, not an engineer!) That seems like a big gap? I'm right down at a gnat's whisker right now so Looks like new nut time for me
    Way too big. Using the 3rd fret method, you want about 1/4 of the string diameter - ie .002” on the top E and .010” on the low E. Even less if you play fairly lightly, down to about half that.

You don’t need a new nut unless it’s less than that, there’s no gap at all, or it’s actually buzzing on the first fret.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    If/when you take it too far you can build it back up using the baking soda and super glue trick.
  • WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    Sorry about using old money but America still uses inches and my StewMac gauge is in thousands of an inch.

0.03" is indeed 30 thou. Start there as you can always go down further much easier than you can go up - see brucegill's 2 excellent comments, above.

If you are new to this is is good insurance to remove the existing nut and learn on a new one. That way, if it goes wrong you can always put the original back. After all these years I still do this when I can.

It is worth a look at this StewMac page where the whole process is explained, complete with drawings and a video.
    ICBM said:
    Way too big. Using the 3rd fret method, you want about 1/4 of the string diameter - ie .002” on the top E and .010” on the low E. Even less if you play fairly lightly, down to about half that.

You don’t need a new nut unless it’s less than that, there’s no gap at all, or it’s actually buzzing on the first fret.
    Ahh, just found my feeler gauges and my low E is about .002! That's my problem string.
    edited April 2020
    octatonic said:
    If/when you take it too far you can build it back up using the baking soda and super glue trick.
    So is that as simple as it sounds?

EDIT: don't worry, just found a YouTube video ..
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    It is simple in the way that walking a high wire is simple, just stay upright and don’t fall off.
    The reality is a bit more complex.

Nut cutting is as much an art as a science.
    I made a mess of the first dozen or so that I tried.
    Building back up can also go sideways pretty quickly, and the nut needs to be reshaped.

Sometimes it is just quicker to make it again.
    Do you have some bone you can practice on?
    edited April 2020
    axisus said:

Ahh, just found my feeler gauges and my low E is about .002! That's my problem string.
    Yes, that’s probably too low, and I think it will buzz.

If it’s just one string I would fill the groove - I use superglue and paper, not baking powder. The thin hard paper from an Ernie Ball string packet is ideal - fold it round your thumb nail and press it into the groove - when the glue sets it makes a good strong composite which you can then file back to (nearly!) where it was.

Thanks all, I'll try the fix route for now. 
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    Jon - take the imperial feeler gauge set 
    Put a ruler or straight edge across 1st and 2nd frets
    Find out how many feeler gauges it takes to be the same as that gap , so they will go in but only just with a slight scrape
    Add 0.012"** on top of that stack  (**you can start higher with a 0.015" if feeling cautious)
    Push that new stack up against the front face of the nut under the strings
    Cut the slots using your files and when the file "just" touches the top of the feeler gauges you should hear it /feel it
    Stop cutting and check action with feeler gauges removed 
    if too high you can swap that 0.012" for 0.011" or 0.010" 

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

Jon - take the imperial feeler gauge set 
    Put a ruler or straight edge across 1st and 2nd frets
    Find out how many feeler gauges it takes to be the same as that gap , so they will go in but only just with a slight scrape
    Add 0.012"** on top of that stack  (**you can start higher with a 0.015" if feeling cautious)
    Push that new stack up against the front face of the nut under the strings
    Cut the slots using your files and when the file "just" touches the top of the feeler gauges you should hear it /feel it
    Stop cutting and check action with feeler gauges removed 
    if too high you can swap that 0.012" for 0.011" or 0.010" 
    Many thanks! Most useful.
  • Just to add, I go the 'fret at 3rd and check the gap over 1st' route and check intonation at 1-3 too. Generally if you can get these 3 frets in tune it's a good indication the height is right
    Self proclaimed Luthier and guitar building addict, professional man-cave dweller Website . Facebook . Instagram . YouTube