What is this Strat?

What's Hot
pottolompottolom Frets: 114
edited April 2020 in Guitar
I've been looking for a cheap project guitar to work on during the lockdown. Something to strip and refinish and hopefully put into fettle. 

I spotted this Strat on eBay and decided to take a punt, and won the auction last night at £62 (+ £12.50 P&P). You might think I'm mad, but it looks like it might have some potential to me, but of course there's a risk that the truss rod is knackered, neck twisted, etc. (although the seller claims it's in reasonable working order).

Obviously I'll know more when it arrives in a few days and I start taking the neck off, looking at the pickups, etc. But in the meantime, just for fun, do any of you know what it is I've bought?! 

There are a few 'strange' things about it:

- Placement of the screw holes on the neck plate;
- "Made in Japan" printed on the pickguard. I've searched high and low online and can't find one like this anywhere;
- Single ply, 8 hole pickguard (so 1950s style) but with a rosewood neck (which is more 1960s);
- 2 string trees.

I'm thinking maybe it could be a partscaster of some description, with the neck and body from separate guitars? The 60s-ish neck and 50s-ish body might suggest this, and I wonder if the strange neck plate is part of this story?

Pickups look like they don't have the staggered pole pieces, so likely to be cheap ceramics?

I'm thinking that if everything works out, and it doesn't prove to be a total stinker (and there is of course a very real risk it will be) that it might clean up to be quite a nice 'genuine' relic if I can remove that 'decoration' from the body (acetone? Or wet sand it off with fairly fine grit?) and either stick with the original finish or refinish it (and clean up the hardware, assuming it isn't too far gone). The neck, tuners and bridge look quite authentic to me. It's hard to tell, but the body contours at the back look like they could be slightly 'off', but not too far away.

Thoughts appreciated! I realise of course that many on here are rocking £2k Custom Shop guitars and will turn their nose up at this! 

Here are the photos:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    A cheap one!

If the fretboard is rosewood and body is a proper wood (i.e not basswood or ply) then you've got a billy bargain. I've been thinking about building another parts guitar to keep me entertained during furlough but even with a modest spec i'm up to £500 already. I bought a US strat for that a couple of years ago...

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out!
  • pottolompottolom Frets: 114
    rico said:
    A cheap one!

If the fretboard is rosewood and body is a proper wood (i.e not basswood or ply) then you've got a billy bargain. I've been thinking about building another parts guitar to keep me entertained during furlough but even with a modest spec i'm up to £500 already. I bought a US strat for that a couple of years ago...

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out!
    The fretboard *looks* like rosewood to me, but I suppose it's only a bargain if it's straight, the truss rod works and the frets don't all need to be pulled!

Body-wood wise, it'll be interesting to see what the neck pocket and body routing reveals!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72598
    I think you're right that it's a partscaster - the neck, with the quite nice Kluson-type tuners, looks like a fairly modern Jim Deacon or something out of the same factory. These often have the logo over the finish since several different ones were used for different distributors, and it was stuck on last - so easy to remove.

The neckplate is distinctively Japanese, earlier-70s probably. The pickguard is likely to be of the same sort of era. The bridge doesn't fit either the pickguard cutout or the body recess properly, and you may find the original screw holes have been filled and redrilled - apart from the low E one, which looks in the right place.

The backplate is cheap and modern. You will probably find more clues when you take it apart...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    bridge looks like the one on my old encore strat
    ICBM said:
    I think you're right that it's a partscaster - the neck, with the quite nice Kluson-type tuners, looks like a fairly modern Jim Deacon or something out of the same factory. These often have the logo over the finish since several different ones were used for different distributors, and it was stuck on last - so easy to remove.

The neckplate is distinctively Japanese, earlier-70s probably. The pickguard is likely to be of the same sort of era. The bridge doesn't fit either the pickguard cutout or the body recess properly, and you may find the original screw holes have been filled and redrilled - apart from the low E one, which looks in the right place.

The backplate is cheap and modern. You will probably find more clues when you take it apart...
    Thanks! That's some good detective work. Yes, I hadn't noticed that about the bridge. I can see now that it definitely looks non-original.

I've had a quick look at Jim Deacon Strats online, and all the necks seem to have truss rod adjustment at the headstock, whereas I'm assuming "mine" is at the heel......
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1267
    I actually rather like that just as it is...

Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    edited April 2020
    Well, it arrived. Photos below.

Can't decide whether to proceed with Plan A, which was to strip and refinish, or if it's a total non-starter! What say you?
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23072
    edited April 2020
    pottolom said:

Wow, I have never seen a tremolo "block" like that before!  Bizarre.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72598
    Philly_Q said:

They were quite common on very low-end copies in the later 70s and early 80s. They’re an absolute pain to restring.

The lengths manufacturers will go to in order to shave a tiny bit off the production cost is quite remarkable!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Frets looks err "interesting" were they cut with a hammer?
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23072
    ICBM said:
    Philly_Q said:

They were quite common on very low-end copies in the later 70s and early 80s. They’re an absolute pain to restring.

The lengths manufacturers will go to in order to shave a tiny bit off the production cost is quite remarkable!
    That was my first thought.  Well, first thought after I'd got over the surprise of finding out such a thing exists.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30306
    Wow, looks like you've got yourself an original 1946 Stratocaster!