Replacing a tuner on a Furch Accoustic

I have a replacement tuner arriving hopefully tomorrow (thank you Stageshop, Budapest!) and have to fit it myself. It appears like it should be a fairly straightforward job but the devil, as they say, is often in the detail.

I have never worked on a guitar in this way before. Are there any obvious things I should be aware of before I start? Be carefull being the obvious one!!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14434
    Across its range, Furch/Stonebridge uses several different designs of machine head. The fastenings vary, usually some combination of wood screws on the back of the headstock and a hex nut on the front. (My example has Schaller M6.)

Please post photographs of your tuners.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 605
    I already sent the pics to the dealer and they are sending the correct one. I don't actually use any photo sharing sites so at the moment can't put up any pictures.

It has one single wood screw at the back (bottom of the tuner) and a hex nut at the front. I haven't tried to do anything as yet.....

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14434
    edited April 2020
    If your tuner had Made In Germany embossed into the gear housing, it is a Schaller. Their products tend to be precision engineered in high quality metal. 

I usually begin loosening the hex nut before tackling the lug screw. The correct tool is a socket. It is possible to use a spanner but this brings the possibility of scratching. Similarly, avoid chewing up the screw head cross slot by using a screwdriver that fits well.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    I have lots of sockets and a wide variety of screwdrivers...... Should find something to fit. No stamp other than the F branding so they are not Schallers...
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2695
    Stage shop are top notch. Would buy from again
    Stage shop are top notch. Would buy from again

Sort of my local. When I took a guitar back from a consignment sale no bother at all. Bought two guitars from them, and when the Furch needed a little fettling they just did it no problems. Nice to get real service from a real shop! They only do 2nd hand and high end though....
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    The most important thing if you haven't done this before is not to overtighten the front nut when you do it up again - the parts are made from fairly weak alloy and you can break the collar tube or even worse, separate the threaded section from the tuner body, which is unrepairable.

I don't know an exact torque setting :), but they don't need to be a *lot* tighter than to just nip the washer against the headstock - certainly no tighter than light finger pressure on the socket handle. I hold the socket handle with my thumb at the ratchet end and use my pinky to tighten it, that seems to give quite a consistent result.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    The most important thing if you haven't done this before is not to overtighten the front nut when you do it up again - the parts are made from fairly weak alloy and you can break the collar tube or even worse, separate the threaded section from the tuner body, which is unrepairable.

I don't know an exact torque setting :), but they don't need to be a *lot* tighter than to just nip the washer against the headstock - certainly no tighter than light finger pressure on the socket handle. I hold the socket handle with my thumb at the ratchet end and use my pinky to tighten it, that seems to give quite a consistent result.

Very gentle! And don't overtighten. A good rule for life too.