Removing Tru Oil from a neck...?

What's Hot
I wonder if Tru-Oil can be dissolved off a neck using acetone?

I don't trust myself to scrape with razor blades, since I'm not confident of achieving a smooth finish thereafter. Would dissolving it off be easier?

Opinions from personal experience deeply appreciated...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    Nothing wrong with sandpaper. What is the plan? Do you want to finish over it with a spraypaint?
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 818
    Thanks Winny - I would like to stain the wood a slightly amber colour and then re-coat with oil again...
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2403
    Sanding is your best option, the oil may have penetrated well into the wood and if you use acetone it may soak further in.
    The stain won't take if there's any oil left on or  near the surface. 
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Yes - sanding.  You may need to change the paper reasonably frequently at first as the cured oil will tend to clog it up, but it's not a difficult job. 

As @Sarge ; says, make sure you are down to clean wood.  Easiest way to check is to wipe it down with a damp (not wet) cloth.  If the neck darkens evenly with the dampness, it should be OK.  If there are light patches dotted about, then those areas are likely to still have some oil ingrained in the wood surface. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 818
    Thanks very much chaps - I’ll do that...!
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8707
    If the layer is thick then a cabinet scraper will take off the worst before you start with the sandpaper. I also like wire wool because it doesn’t clog as easily as sandpaper, but it is harder to get position right and avoid sanding flat patches.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.