Atkin neck profiles

What's Hot
bloomerbloomer Frets: 209
What have the necks been like on any Atkins you might have played? I mainly play electric and looking for as similar feel as possible, tend to prefer rounded profiles that aren't too wide. Some of the models I like the look of have a 1 3/4 nut which I'm guessing I won't get along with but do they feel much wider?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11453
    I talked to Alister Atkin about neck profiles at the Birmingham show.  I'm interested in a V profile similar to my Martin.  They can do different profiles if you talk to them.  They have a phone number on their website.
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 721
    edited April 2020
    Wish they did more 1 3/4” to be honest. The LG I had was 1 11/16” and had quite big shoulders to the profile that I found Painful after a while. I thought I’d only get on with 1 11/16” after that as figured anything bugger at the nut would be worse. now have something else with 1 3/4” and it much comfier. Go figure. Really need to try them unfortunately. I wouldn’t dismiss them because of nut width, it really depends on the profile as to you finding it ok or not - well that’s what I found anyway. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 621
    Quite variable. I sat down with a bunch of atkins for a couple of hours before walking out with my OM37, which has a 1 11/16" nut width and quite a shallow neck. I played a bunch of their L series guitars which also had a 1 11/16" nut but for some reason felt a little more difficult to play for me - maybe due to a different radius or bridge spacing? The L series had a chunkier neck than the OM but not massive by any stretch. Certainly not difficult to play at all but just not quite as easy as the OM (to me). I loved all the L series I played and would gladly have one if funds allowed for both.

I also played a couple of dreadnoughts which I think had the same neck profile as the OM. Again, exceptional guitars.

I'm a fingerstyle player mainly but grew up playing a 1 11/16" nut width acoustic, so I'm quite comfortable with it. I realise that's the exception for that style. I'm also very comfortable on my 1 3/4" Lowdens and adapt very easily I guess. I almost never dismiss guitars out of hand just based on specs.

As always, there is no substitute for trying a load of them out, once social distancing measures have been lifted of course.
  • malcolmkindnessmalcolmkindness Frets: 164
    edited April 2020
    I have always found Atkin necks to be very slim, that's the only thing I don't like about his guitars. It looks like they might be perfect for you.
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2695
    What are your electric necks like?
  • bloomerbloomer Frets: 209
    Some interesting thoughts to think about here, after the lockdown I'll head out and try some - if GAS doesn't get me first. I heard that couple of times about the LGs having a fairly hefty shoulder and thats what I'm wary of. The most comfortable neck I've played is a huber krautster that is reasonably fat but very rounded with not too much shoulder and also on the narrower side. My test is whether I can do a thumb over chord comfortably up the neck. An sg junior I sold recently had a much thinner neck but it was slightly wider and I found that far less comfortable. @brucegill which of the LG series did you have?
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 721
    bloomer said:
    Some interesting thoughts to think about here, after the lockdown I'll head out and try some - if GAS doesn't get me first. I heard that couple of times about the LGs having a fairly hefty shoulder and thats what I'm wary of. The most comfortable neck I've played is a huber krautster that is reasonably fat but very rounded with not too much shoulder and also on the narrower side. My test is whether I can do a thumb over chord comfortably up the neck. An sg junior I sold recently had a much thinner neck but it was slightly wider and I found that far less comfortable. @brucegill which of the LG series did you have?
    LG47 i think. The LG2 copy