Light Dependant Resistors - covering?

SteveFSteveF Frets: 539
edited April 2020 in Making & Modding
Got a pedal project on the go and the BOM calls for a 5mm green LED and an “LDR (GL5516)”.  I assume any standard green 5mm LED will work?  

I’ve seen on a couple of groups on facebook that people heatshrink these together next to each other, or even go to the lengths of cutting the top off the LED and gluing the LDR and LED together before heatshrinking.  Is this necessary?  The circuit board seems to just show them sat next to each other and I imagine it’s pretty dark in a sealed enclosure.  

Any opinions from the pedal builders in here? 
 (~EDIT - changed the title, I’d answered my own original question before i posted but for got to change the title)
Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1542
    Of the few LDR/LED pedals ive built, mostly tremolo's, i have heat shrinked the 2 together. One of them (Tremulus Lune i think) was really sensitive and had to have the LED touching, head-on, the LDR.
    I am sure any green 5mm would do.
    What is the projecr, btw?

Adam
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 539
    Kalimna said:
    Of the few LDR/LED pedals ive built, mostly tremolo's, i have heat shrinked the 2 together. One of them (Tremulus Lune i think) was really sensitive and had to have the LED touching, head-on, the LDR.
    I am sure any green 5mm would do.
    What is the projecr, btw?

Adam
    Just seen this reply, thanks very much. Probs better safe than sorry I guess.  Building a PedalPCB board. I actually can’t remember which one of the PCBs I ordered needs it! :lol:

they’re taking their sweet time to get here too, COVID-19 sucks! 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27173
    I did this on my Quaverato build last week. I heat-shrinked them, but no need for glue. 

If you’re only using one then you might get away without as it’ll be dark inside the pedal anyway, but if you using 2 or more you’ll want the heat shrink to be sure each LDR only “sees” light from wherever it’s supposed to
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Thanks.  So literally just have them end to end (touching?) and heat shrink together? 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27173
    Yep. The Quaverato instructions cover this really well - from pg 21 in the below.

https://www.zeppelindesignlabs.com/wp-content/uploads/docs/Quaverato-Assembly-Instructions-ZD3672-AND-UP.pdf
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    That's great, thanks.  Wow those are really detailed instructions.  The PedalPCB ones just have the BOM and the off board wiring.