Epiphone unbalanced pickups.

What's Hot
Picked up a Chinese epiphone les Pau which l looks great  but  having issues getting the output of the pickups to balance.  

The neck reads approximately 8.3k ,  the bridge 6.5k with about half the volume of the neck,  are these normal readings or got a duff pickup.  

Adjusted the heights with little improvement.  

Thanks 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I would have expected the readings to be the other way round. You get a weaker signal from the bridge area as there's less string vibrating. Maybe try swapping them round. I've got a pair of stacked p90s that are the same output and there's a noticeable difference in sound at the bridge
    Self proclaimed Luthier and guitar building addict, professional man-cave dweller Website . Facebook . Instagram . YouTube
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72372
    Picked up a Chinese epiphone les Pau which l looks great  but  having issues getting the output of the pickups to balance.  

The neck reads approximately 8.3k ,  the bridge 6.5k with about half the volume of the neck,  are these normal readings or got a duff pickup.
    Does the bridge pickup hum a lot more than the neck at the same settings on the amp?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14434
    edited April 2020
    8k is the ballpark resistance figure for a vintage-style humbucker, such as your neck/Rhythm position unit.

10-14k would be about right for a “beefed up” bridge/Treble position unit. 6.2k is about the half way point of that range, suggesting that one coil is either dead or shorted out via its output conductors.

Inspecting the undersides of your pickups will reveal which model each is and whether it has had its metal cover forcibly removed. (Good way to break a coil.)

EDIT: If you guitar was pre-owned, it is possible that a former owner reversed some upgrades immediately prior to selling and got the wiring wrong. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Thanks for the suggestions.  There is no additional hum when the bridge pickup is selected .  

Just took the pickups out,   the neck is a 57ch and the bridge a HOTCH(G).   It all looks stock with no additional solder..  

Replacements are quite cheap used on eBay but dont want to  get one and have the same issue.  

The follow-up questions that might help with solving your issue could be answered by photographs of the wiring in the guitar’s control cavity.

For instance, if your guitar has push-pull pots for coil splitting of each humbucker, a short circuit or a wiring error would leave the bridge/Treble position pickup permanently in split mode. Not broken. Just connected wrongly.

Just took the pickups out,   the neck is a 57ch and the bridge a HOTCH(G).
    If the bridge pickup is marked HOT then I still suspect one coil is shorted, even without extra hum. It’s much more likely that it’s intended to be about a 12-13K pickup, which would normally be described as a ‘hot’ humbucker. 8K is a standard PAF-type (or ‘57’ type) resistance.

You should be able to find a replacement Epiphone pickup of the same type very cheaply, a lot of people replace them - or take it as an opportunity to put something better in.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:

Just took the pickups out,   the neck is a 57ch and the bridge a HOTCH(G).
    If the bridge pickup is marked HOT then I still suspect one coil is shorted, even without extra hum. It’s much more likely that it’s intended to be about a 12-13K pickup, which would normally be described as a ‘hot’ humbucker. 8K is a standard PAF-type (or ‘57’ type) resistance.

You should be able to find a replacement Epiphone pickup of the same type very cheaply, a lot of people replace them - or take it as an opportunity to put something better in.
    Agreed. It does sound like it's died. Assuming they're normal pots
    Self proclaimed Luthier and guitar building addict, professional man-cave dweller Website . Facebook . Instagram . YouTube
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Iron Gear Blues Engines are a good reasonably priced replacement, if replacement is required...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• musicalstashmusicalstash Frets: 53
    edited May 2020
    Will get a replacement sorted.   Thanks for everyones input / advice.  
  • Just a quite update .

Bought a used same spec Epiphone bridge Pickup (14k ) but once installed into the guitar cames up with the same issue of low output and reading 6.5k .

I made a novice mistake of reading the original pickup through a jack lead while in the guitar but now checking it once unsoldered comes up as 14k .

Does this make it an issue with the pot ?  Not great with soldering so before swapping the pot out , could it be anything else ? Its a standard humbucker with no coil tap .

In your position, I would try using Servisol electro-lubricant to clean the selector switch contacts and the innards of the four pots.

If your selector switch is the budget type with its contacts concealed within a metal box, I strongly suggest that you replace it as soon as possible. 
    Just a quite update .

Bought a used same spec Epiphone bridge Pickup (14k ) but once installed into the guitar cames up with the same issue of low output and reading 6.5k .

I made a novice mistake of reading the original pickup through a jack lead while in the guitar but now checking it once unsoldered comes up as 14k .

Does this make it an issue with the pot ?  Not great with soldering so before swapping the pot out , could it be anything else ? Its a standard humbucker with no coil tap .
    A damaged pot or one of the wrong resistance could do that. It would have to have a resistance of only 12K to produce that result though.

You didn't check it with the selector switch in the middle position by any chance? You can only read the resistance of a pickup in situ if you have that pickup alone selected and the volume up full.

If it is definitely an issue with the pot, could the terminals be touching any shielding paint on the floor of the cavity?

My money is on the problem being at the selector switch. Any chance of photographs of it, please?
  • ICBM said:
    Just a quite update .

A damaged pot or one of the wrong resistance could do that. It would have to have a resistance of only 12K to produce that result though.

You didn't check it with the selector switch in the middle position by any chance? You can only read the resistance of a pickup in situ if you have that pickup alone selected and the volume up full.

If it is definitely an issue with the pot, could the terminals be touching any shielding paint on the floor of the cavity?

Thanks all sorted now ... I took the pot out to desolder the pickup and it came to to life .. ICBM was right it seems as though one of the legs was touching the side of the cavity  ...  Thanks for all the help ..
    musicalstash said:

Thanks all sorted now ... I took the pot out to desolder the pickup and it came to to life .. ICBM was right it seems as though one of the legs was touching the side of the cavity  ...  Thanks for all the help .. 
    I've come across that a couple of times... a bit of paper masking tape in the critical place will fix it, if you can't find a position where it isn't touching.

Unfortunate that we didn't get there before you bought a new pickup - hope it wasn't too expensive :(.