How to check if Vol pot is Log or linear when the pot is in the guitar

Is it possible to use a multimeter to check if a volume pot is Log or linear wile the Pot is in the circuit in a guitar. 
Will the pot still give the same readings if it is in the guitar ?
I know how to check a pot while it's not in the guitar but I do not know if it will read the same when it's in the guitar
I put peoples heads in horse's beds

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72566
    No, it won't - because the pickup is in parallel with the top end of the track. But it is possible to measure it if you do a bit of simple maths.

If you meter from the pot output to ground, as you turn the pot up from zero to full, the resistance will rise from 0 ohms to a peak in the middle, then fall back to the DC resistance of the pickup. The peak will be a quarter of the pot resistance. (Technically, a quarter of the pot resistance plus the pickup resistance, but that's almost negligible by comparison.)

Where the peak occurs on the pot turn will tell you if it's Linear (at 5) or Log (around 7-8), if numbered.

Obviously make sure only one pickup is selected, if it's a guitar with more than one volume control.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• kipplekipple Frets: 354
    edited April 2020
    ICBM said:
    No, it won't - because the pickup is in parallel with the top end of the track. But it is possible to measure it if you do a bit of simple maths.

If you meter from the pot output to ground, as you turn the pot up from zero to full, the resistance will rise from 0 ohms to a peak in the middle, then fall back to the DC resistance of the pickup. The peak will be a quarter of the pot resistance. (Technically, a quarter of the pot resistance plus the pickup resistance, but that's almost negligible by comparison.)

Where the peak occurs on the pot turn will tell you if it's Linear (at 5) or Log (around 7-8), if numbered.

Obviously make sure only one pickup is selected, if it's a guitar with more than one volume control.
    Thanks I will try that out. 
    I fitted a new pot and pickup and it's not behaving as I thought it should and I cannot figure out what's up with it. The pot acts like an on off switch. It occurred to me I may of used a linear pot instead of Log
    I put peoples heads in horse's beds

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14563
    1 Meg pots are pretty much on/off regardless of whether they are log or linear taper.

On a right-handed guitar, reversed log taper pots would seem pretty all or nothing.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.