• munckeemunckee Frets: 12415
    Looks cool well done. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4942
    Mine started off pink! :-)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    MattNovak said:
    Good job! Is that shell pink? I might try that on my next build.

It is indeed!

Thanks everyone. I'll post pictures showing off all the mistakes & cock-ups in detail once the pick-up covers have arrived. It's a bit annoying that the only thing stopping from a total reassembly is £3 worth of pick-up covers :p But oh well.

I'm definitely going to be doing it again. Maybe one of the HB kits next, as that'd require quite a bit more soldering & whatnot as far as I know. After that, who knows...
    And we're all done! =) Well, pick-up selector switch is on the way, and I'm not too happy with the knobs being slightly off compared to the pick-up covers, but still, I guess it's to be expected when buying blind from different places.

Top came out super nice, & it went back together flawlessly. It's only a Squier Bullet I know, but it really is a super light & resonant strat.

The back, however... I know it's hard to see, but there's some pretty decent dents where I was a bit overzealous with the B&D mouse. If you look under the neckplate, you might be able to see the top of the curvature.

And yeah, I might've accidentally rested the iron on the back of it briefly... And then tried to cover it up with a tiny squirt of paint (with moderate success).

Overall, I've turned a £110 Squier into a £110 Squier with lumps of it missing & a dodgy paint job, but I was always sure this was one guitar I was going to keep, as it punches so far above its weight that selling it would make absolutely zero sense. Now I think it looks even better, I'm just even more sure this is a guitar that'll stick with me for years & years to come.

I had a lot of fun with the project, and it's definitely something I'll do more of in the future. I know the mistakes I made, so hopefully new guitars turn out a little better than this one. But still, for a first attempt? I'm pretty damn happy with how it went.

Cheers!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I do love a shell pink Strat. I may have to get one of these Bullets, if only to scratch the Strat itch.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12415
    I think that looks really good. Has it given you the bug or put you off?

its the faffing I find a pain rather than painting, the soldering and attempting to set it up afterwards. 
    edited May 2020
    I do love a shell pink Strat. I may have to get one of these Bullets, if only to scratch the Strat itch.

That's why I bought mine. I know there's a shell pink Affinity strat at Andertons for £150 or so.

munckee said:
    I think that looks really good. Has it given you the bug or put you off?

its the faffing I find a pain rather than painting, the soldering and attempting to set it up afterwards. 

Oh I definitely enjoyed it. Worst part for me was trying to get all the crap outta the cutaways. Soldering was also a bit of a pain, but no setup was really needed, thankfully. Oh, I'll have to tweak the intonation a bit as I took the saddles off to clean the bridge, but that's not an issue.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3058
    When sanding finish off a body I always used to leave the cutaways until last as they seem suck a pain to do...now I do them first, then the sides, then the much easier front and back, then as the more sick of sanding I get, the easier it gets
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom