Looking to upgrade my home studio

I’ve outgrown the Rode USB mic I’m using so need to plan an upgrade.  Listening to older recordings (90’s Rode NT1, TLA Audio mic pre and ADAT) I’ve definitely downgraded my sound, but it has been the case of getting back into it and the NT USB has achieved its goal.

Looking for one decent sounding LDC to start and an interface. My only ‘real’ mic is Rode M3.

I want a mic with good detail for male vocals.  The Rode was good for that but the high end was not the most refined.  I’m thinking of the Neuman TLM102.  That would be at the very top end, anything comparable but cheaper?

Interface wise either SSL 2 or Audient ID14.
Any thoughts between the 2?

Ideally I’d like to get both for less that £500, so if there’s a bargain mic for £300 ish that would be great.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10413

Sometimes, in a home studio with less than ideal acoustic reflections too much detail isn't a great thing and something like a Shure SM7B will work better for a typical pop \ rock \ indie male vocal. Last time I looked they were about £320
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4703
    Danny1969 said:

Sometimes, in a home studio with less than ideal acoustic reflections too much detail isn't a great thing and something like a Shure SM7B will work better for a typical pop \ rock \ indie male vocal. Last time I looked they were about £320
    Yes that has been a consideration, but wasn't sure whether I'd like the sound, they do split opinion.  Plus they need quite a lot of preamp power or an external booster I believe.  I would probably try one but it's not so easy at the moment.

I've got on with LDC quite well in the past, mainly using duvets and the like where needed to calm reflections so not too worried about going that route again.
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3655

It’s often a case of matching the voice to the mic, which isn’t easy at this moment in time.  In that sort of price range I’d be looking at;

Rode NT1-A   (my NT1 has served me well for very many years)

SE Electronics SE2200 or 2300

Aston Origin (never tried one but getting a lot of good reviews)

Lewitt LCT440 (again, never tried)

AKG C214

Regarding AI.  It's very much down to how many inputs and outputs you require.  I have a fair bit hooked up so all my experience has been with other units.

• I’ve had a Audient id4 and now a id44. They’re really good bits of kit. Highly recommend. 

Mic wise the Astons are tremendous if your budget allows. The Origin can be had for decent money second hand. 
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4703
    Musicwolf said:

It’s often a case of matching the voice to the mic, which isn’t easy at this moment in time.  In that sort of price range I’d be looking at;

Rode NT1-A   (my NT1 has served me well for very many years)

SE Electronics SE2200 or 2300

Aston Origin (never tried one but getting a lot of good reviews)

Lewitt LCT440 (again, never tried)

AKG C214

Regarding AI.  It's very much down to how many inputs and outputs you require.  I have a fair bit hooked up so all my experience has been with other units.

Thanks for the info, I will check them out.

I think the NT1 A is supposed to be really bright so that one I'll discount.  The 214 sounds interesting, I always liked the 414's I have tried in studios.  Will look at the Aston, doesn't seem too expensive.

I’ve had a Audient id4 and now a id44. They’re really good bits of kit. Highly recommend. 

Mic wise the Astons are tremendous if your budget allows. The Origin can be had for decent money second hand. 

Thanks, leaning towards the Audient for the expandability option.  Only need 2 inputs now but good to have the option for more.