Best Speakers on a budget for playback/home studio

I currently have an OK PA system in my converted/sound-proofed garage studio (suspended floors, floor to ceiling bass traps etc) - it's a 12 channel Mackie with 2 X Behringer Eurolive 450W speakers.

As a PA for live gigs, the system is decent, but as a system for the playback of music (at volume) to play along to, be it my son on his full, acoustic drum kit or myself on guitar or bass, it's poor and too boomy, even with judicious eq'ing

I wondered if people had any recommendations for smaller speakers that could work with the mixer but deliver A/ a better sound for this purpose and B/ enough volume to be used/keep up with live drums?

Any recommendations would be most welcome and it's hoped these speakers would also form part of a lap top-based recording set up at some point in the future with plug-ins etc.

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    Contact your local hi-fi dealer, he probably has a shed full of traded in speakers and amps, all working perfectly.  A decent setup could be had for fairly reasonable money......
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    Rocker said:
    Contact your local hi-fi dealer, he probably has a shed full of traded in speakers and amps, all working perfectly.  A decent setup could be had for fairly reasonable money......
    but would these also be good for the playback of your own recorded stuff, not just CDs, MP3s.

I think what I'm getting at is loud playback studio monitors :)
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 439
    edited April 2020
    I'm very happy with the Eris E4.5s from Presonus which are powered near field studio monitors. they're about £150 a pair new but perfect for a small home studio set up and better suited to mixing than most bookshelf hi-fi speakers.
    edited April 2020
    JCA2550 said:
    I'm very happy with the Eris E4.5s from Presonus which are powered near field studio monitors. they're about £150 a pair new but perfect for a small home studio set up and better suited to mixing than most bookshelf hi-fi speakers.
    Thanks @JCA2550 and they look really good and I like the fact it has an auxillary.
    Can I ask a couple of questions? With regard to the headphone output, does that allow you to listen to the source through headphones whilst still being able to monitor through either both or the other speaker and cuts the headphone one off? Also, I note they're 25w each. Are they loud and do you think for an acoustic drummer could keep up with them for playing along?
    Thanks so far and any more for any more? Loud, compact, good for playback?

Cheers