Suitable Strat to which I can fit parts that I already have

What's Hot
I have a c2009 US Standard Strat to which I have made a couple of mods, pricipal amongst them being new pickups and locking tuners.  The instrument is now HSS, I'm happy with it and I gig it regularly, however, I friend commented that it "didn't sound very Strat-like".  Having been doing a bit of recording during lockdown I'm tending to agree with him.

Of course I'd love a CS Strat and I also quite like the Silver Sky.  Maybe one day I'll own one or the other but, for now, I am thinking that I can justify a modestly priced Strat, to use now and again for recording, which I can upgrade using parts that I already have.

The pickups (SSS) are already loaded onto an 11 hole scratchplate (the US Strat is 22 fret if that makes any difference), a simple job to remount onto another scratchplate, but what are the issues around tuners?  Being US I guess they are imperial.  Will they fit a MIM Strat and how about a Squire?

Any thoughts on models which are otherwise good but let down by pickups and tuners?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14553
    On modern style Fender guitars, The Schaller, Sperzel and Ping ‘heads all fit through the same diameter holes. 

Where they can differ is in the locator pins or lugs on the rear of the headstock.

As for sounding Strat-like, I am currently fortunate to own two Fender AVRI models. They do not sound alike. One seems better suited to Knopfleresque finger and thumb playing. The other is more adaptable to a range of approaches. 

I can also get some very Gilmourish sounds from the bridge/Treble position pickup of a Jazzmaster.

You have not stated which replacement pickups you have in your 2009 guitar. My guess is that the S pair are stacked coil, noise-cancelling types.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3670

You have not stated which replacement pickups you have in your 2009 guitar. My guess is that the S pair are stacked coil, noise-cancelling types.
    My US Strat now has Bare Knuckles.  A VHII in the bridge and, from memory, Irish Tour single coils with baseplates.

Thanks for the info on the tuners

• So if I understand correctly, you have the loaded pickguard and non-locking 'square' two pin mount tuners available from a 2009 US Std Strat?

Many of the more modern Mexican Strats (Mex Std, Mex Player, big headstock Mex Deluxes/Roadhouse) use similar tuners. They are now all made by Ping-Well and the only advantage to yours are that they should have staggered height posts, where most of the models listed above don't (recent Deluxes have short post locking heads though).

Your machine heads aren't directly compatible with Mex Classic/ Vintera or off-shore made models (note, some Squiers have two pin mount tuners, but the pin spacing is different). Anything vintage style (Mex Classic/Vintera , Squier Classic Vibe) will have some variant of a Kluson style tuner, which come in an array of sizes (tuner posts of 6mm or 6.35 mm diameter, bushings to match with OD'S of 8.8mm, 9mm, 9.2mm.....). As stated, none of these are directly compatible with the US Std tuners.

Regarding pickups, 2009 US Std Strats had plastic bobbin pickups with A5 magnets, a RWRP middle pickup and a slightly hotter than vintage bridge pickup (neck and middle pretty close to vintage). The 22 fret neck makes no difference as the neck has an overhang which goes over the pickguard - the pickguard is the same for 21 or 22 fret models (note, some 22 fret off-shore Fenders are different, such as the Chinese Modern Player Tele - not sure of the equivalent Strat???). Anyway, tonally those US Std pickups are much on a par with the Mex Classic series pickups, but yours will have the advantage of a slightly hotter bridge pickup and RWRP middle pickup for hum cancelling in positions 2&4. They are also certainly better than the ceramic pickups in a Mex Std, perhaps on a par with the re-voiced pickups in the current Mex Player, but not as good as the Texas specials in the first big headstock Mex Deluxes, or the Noiseless in the current version. I'd also take your US Std pickups over most Squiers except for the original Chinese made Classic Vibes which had OEM versions of Toneriders in them. I've no experience of the current Classic Vibes (now made in Indonesia) which seem to be a consolidation of the previous Classic Vibe and Vintage Modified ranges. 

Regarding pickguards, even notionally identical specs don't always fit - US and Mex and generally interchangeable, but some off-shore guards look right, but the screw locations can be displaced by a few mm, so no guarantees. There are broadly two specs for 11 hole guards (early sixties/62 and mid-late sixties/modern). One screw hole above the mid pickup is different. Then there are fifties style 8 hole guards (7 of the eight holes match with the 11 screw guard).

To my mind if you want classic Fender tone then you really need a well setup 6 screw bridge with a steel block. A second hand Mex Classic could be subtly upgraded with your US Std pickups, but a block or bridge upgrade would make a bigger difference (machine heads won't directly fit). Of course, a Classic Series is a very vintage feeling guitar (small frets, tight fingerboard radius, wider 56mm string spacing).

A Mex Std would be improved with both the pickups and machine heads, has a narrower bridge/ block/string spacing (like your US Std) and a modern fingerboard radius/medium jumbo frets (also much like your US Std). The Mex STDs were incrementally improved (quality of materials, fit and finish etc) over the many years of the model. The last upgrade was either 2010 or 2012 (can't remember), so one of those might be a good platform to improve. Again, a steel block (this time 52.5mm spacing) would be an excellent improvement as well.

Ultimately, if you want a different feel and tone go for a more vintage spec model. If you want a more modern feel but still classic single coil tone perhaps start with a more contemporary model - just my thoughts!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3670
    @CasperCaster Many thanks for such a comprehensive answer.

To be honest, I wasn't holding out for the tuners to be either a direct replacement nor that much of an upgrade.  Would be nice just to make use of them (they've been in a box in the loft for the last decade).

I hadn't thought too much about the bridge / block.  My US is 2 point so would make sense to have something different i.e. 6 screw.  I can always swap the block if I'm not getting what I want.