Impressive single mic recording on an Ashton Spirit

What's Hot
Just chanced on this recording session. The dynamic and frequency range of the Ashton mic they are using is pretty impressive.
Seems it could be a good affordable all rounder for the home studio.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    Yes, that is a pretty good representation of how they sound.
    I am guessing they recorded that in omni, which has a bit of a kick in the top end (around 10k).

The Spirit wouldn't be my first choice as a single mic recording but it works well here.
    I have a pair of them- I like them on female vocals & piano in cardioid, as room drum mics in omni.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
    @octatonic What would you suggest as a decent mid-price alternative? Cheers.

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6123
    octatonic said:
    I am guessing they recorded that in omni, which has a bit of a kick in the top end (around 10k).

The Spirit wouldn't be my first choice as a single mic recording but it works well here.
    I have a pair of them- I like them on female vocals & piano in cardioid, as room drum mics in omni.

What would be your first choice @octatonic ?

camf said:
    @octatonic What would you suggest as a decent mid-price alternative? Cheers.

Give me a more exact figure- under £500? a grand?
    edited April 2020

equalsql said:
    octatonic said:

Without a doubt a Neumann U67, but I don't imagine that will be under consideration.

How fixed is the budget?
    With mics it is easy to creep into a higher price range- the Spirit is, what, £300?

I'd go with either a Lewitt LCT441 or an Audio Technica AT4050, but they are both more expensive than the Aston, at £350 or about £500 for the AT.
    If you can go to £500 then it is only a bit more to get a C414 at around and then something like an OC818.
    Before you know it you've spend a grand and are looking at used U87s instead- at least that is what happens with me.

Around £300 the Spirit is compelling and I'm sure you'd be happy with it.
    FWIW I bought mine in Singapore at $320 SGD (£180 a piece)- looking outside the UK might be the way to do it, as I think we pay more for them here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6123
    octatonic said:

equalsql said:
    octatonic said:

Without as doubt a Neumann U67, but I don't imagine that will be under consideration.

How fixed is the budget?
    With mics it is easy to creep into a higher price range- the Spirit is, what, £300?

I'd go with either a Lewitt LCT441 or an Audio Technica AT4050, but they are both more expensive than the Aston, at £350 or about £500 for the AT.
    If you can go to £500 then it is only a bit more to get a C414 at around and then something like an OC818.
    Before you know it you've spend a grand and are looking at used U87s instead- at least that is what happens with me.

Around £300 the Spirit is compelling and I'm sure you'd be happy with it.
    FWIW I bought mine in Singapore at $320 SGD (£180 a piece)- looking outside the UK might be the way to do it, as I think we pay more for them here.
    Thanks for all that good info :+1: 
    Certainly my budget is around the £300 mark so your suggestions are extremely helpful.
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    edited April 2020
    Well it certainly has a lot of bottom end if that recording is anything to go by! Also a fairly hefty boost in the sibilance region.

It's quite interesting to listen to it in mono. All the nice reverb disappears and you get a much clearer idea of how the mic itself sounds.

• camfcamf Frets: 1191
    At that, the Aston Spirit does seem great value, though. 
    Stuckfast said:
    Well it certainly has a lot of bottom end if that recording is anything to go by! Also a fairly hefty boost in the sibilance region.

It's quite interesting to listen to it in mono. All the nice reverb disappears and you get a much clearer idea of how the mic itself sounds.

That is only in omni mode.
    It is tamer in the high end in cardioid- I'v never used it in fig 8.