Anyone not using monitors? Minimalist setup discussion

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• colourofsoundcolourofsound Frets: 395
    Yeah, I'd say ditch them - if you can't get them up to usable volume, your only option is to move house in order to use your monitors. Practicality dictates that's probably not an option.

As long as you've got a good pair of cans that you trust (and know well) and something to sense-check your mix on, go for it. I'm making the assumption, of course, that this is your hobby and people aren't going to be paying you to do this...
    Haha, no. I've tried to go down that avenue before, and thats what lead me to take a hiatus from music altogether (and start riding bikes! Theres another money pit...)

I'm looking at a path of least resistance to enjoy music again, and I think that means cutting a lot of crap. the only things I can't bear to part with are my mic collection.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26736
    As for the Stomp...you might want to consider waiting until Line 6 do one of their discount runs on software and just get Helix Native. Guitar -> interface -> DAW -> headphones. In terms of a silent setup (in your context), it doesn't get much more minimalist.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    As for the Stomp...you might want to consider waiting until Line 6 do one of their discount runs on software and just get Helix Native. Guitar -> interface -> DAW -> headphones. In terms of a silent setup (in your context), it doesn't get much more minimalist.
    I'd rather have the hardware box to run in front of the Amp. Seems the HX Stomp is the best of all Line 6 worlds.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26736
    I'd rather have the hardware box to run in front of the Amp. Seems the HX Stomp is the best of all Line 6 worlds.
    Well, maybe...I personally couldn't live with the six-block limit or the reduced signal paths.

However...it might be worth looking at the POD Go - same modelling, similar limitations to the Stomp (and a similar price), but more controllable.
    <space for hire>
  • jacklawteyjacklawtey Frets: 284
    Apologies if I've got this wrong but if you're mixing professionally, as per your signature, a set of monitors are a must have. Also, protect those ears of yours. I spent the last 5-6 years working exclusively with headphones and now my left ear is popping and whooshing constantly. Can't get that back. 
    Man the signature is old. No one ever contacted me haha
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33836
    I also based my advice partly on your signature.
    If you aren't mixing other people then it is less crucial to have monitors.