I did a thing

SnagsSnags Frets: 5677
edited May 2020 in Making Music
Bit wary of putting this out there - doing stuff live you can run away afterwards and deny it all. Recording it and actually letting other people hear it, well, that can come back to haunt you.

Consider it an example of what you can do with minimal talent, no clue, zero patience, and fairly budget gear:
  • Alesis io2 interface
  • Reaper
  • MXL770 vocal mic

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12823
    You know I think you’re great anyway but I really dig that. Your voice sounds like a cross between Leonard Cohen and big Dai from the valley choir. 

Guitar was doorsesque. You’ve nailed the recording quality thing you were after I think. 
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5677
    @munckee Thank you, really appreciate that, genuinely.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2109
    Ok...so its not my preferred genre...so the good news is you did a whole song, recorded it and posted for us lot.....I know how time consuming that can be so Good job !

If I had to be critical, I would say its a bit long....I would end it around 3 mins max....or even shorter, I just think this type of ditty works better like that.

The sound was good, maybe condor adding another guitar part in the break to add some dynamics.

Just my thoughts...

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5677
    @spark240 Thanks, all feedback welcome.

I did consider adding an extra part, but that particular thing was written with solo performance at open mics in mind, and in the past when I've recorded stuff and layered it, it's then disappointing (to me) when it has to be played without the twiddles. So with the exception of reverb and EQ, it's a kind of verité thing :)

The stuff I do for a band context tends to be much more rock. Once I've got my head around programming drums I'll probably put up some of the more multi-part ones, although the drums and the bass won't be as good as with the actual drummer and bassist.

On the timing thing, ironically my stuff normally ends up too short, but there's room to cut a few of the in-between bars in that as the occasion demands.

Thanks for the listen, and taking the time to respond, it's all useful stuff.