Resistive vs reactive load box for direct recording

OK, so I'm probably really late to the party here but I've just been experimenting with taking the line out from my amp + attenuator into my PC and then applying cabinet impulses via a plugin, and I'm really impressed so far.

My attenuator is a cheap Harley Benton PA-100, which is doing the business so far, but it's got me thinking about investing in a reactive load box, because I've heard good things about them.  Is the difference in feel/quality between a resistive and reactive load box *really* worth the additional expense?

Also, what are good sources for free/cheap cab IR's these days?  I have God's Cab and the Kalthallen IR's so far.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7796
    I dont know how much difference there is but I kept reading that a reactive load is the best and just went ahead bought a Suhr. There is more variey nowadays such as the two notes captor if on a budget.
    If you want free IRs and a nice plugin then look no further:

https://www.voxengo.com/product/boogex/features/
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1447
    There is definitely a difference, whether it's enough to warrant the extra expense isn't something anyone can answer.

Here are some comparison sound clips (not mine).  There is a difference in 'feel' too when playing, it responds differently - it feels slighly more dynamic I guess.