Machine head holes question

If you order a neck with 10mm machine head holes are they 10mm full depth or are they stepped? I have some Dimarzios that are 10mm for their entire length but most have a 10mm shaft that reduces to about 8mm with the threaded inserts. Just don't want to have them cant when under tension from the strings.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    Generally, unless they are described as stepped, they will be straight 10mm holes.

Personally I think that, as long as the headboard thickness allows a reasonable number of turns before it gets tight, then the screwfit of the insert will hold things perfectly straight under normal string tensions.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72550
    Almost all factory-made necks have the holes straight through. The machineheads don’t tilt if they’re clamped to the headstock with the threaded collar, that’s the whole point. You don’t even need to do them up that tight - the 10mm section of the tuner body is enough to hold it straight on its own.

I do always step the hole if I fit aftermarket 10mm tuners, but that’s as much to avoid any risk of chipping the front of the headstock as that it’s marginally better.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein