Half decent really small / mini guitar recommendations

Beardy_JonnyBeardy_Jonny Frets: 0
edited May 2020 in Acoustics
Hi, can anyone recommend a decent guitar that can be played in standard EADGBA and is similar in size to the Cordoba Mini? 

The two most popular that keeps popping up on forums and review websites are Cordoba Mini and the Yamaha Guitalele but wanted to know if anyone had other recommendations other than these two? 

ideally with a solid headstock and steel strings but I could live with nylon. 

Max around £250. 

Thanks!!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ExorcistExorcist Frets: 604
    edited May 2020
    fwiw I bought my daughter a yamaha guitalele thing, and I was very impressed. You just tune it to A - I often find myself noodling on it - much better than any of those awful cheap 3/4 classical guitars

mine came from the amazon warehouse I think and was a decent price at the time
  • Exorcist said:
    fwiw I bought my daughter a yamaha guitalele thing, and I was very impressed. You just tune it to A - I often find myself noodling on it - much better than any of those awful cheap 3/4 classical guitars

mine came from the amazon warehouse I think and was a decent price at the time
    I am considering the GL1 again. I'm a beginner and I'm learning to play with GuitarTricks. I have a full size guitar but was considering getting a Guitalele like the Yamaha GL1 to practice around the house and on the sofa. 

does anyone have any experience with learning on a Guitalele? I was wondering as it is tuned differently ADGCEA instead of the standard EADGBE will this stop me from learning along to the videos? I know it will sound a 4th higher but in my mind that will still be ok for learning with the training videos?

• danowensdanowens Frets: 27
    I regularly play a Guitarlele (Like a normal guitar but with a capo at fret 5), the Vintage Viator which is a Terz guitar (like a capo at fret 3) and a gypsy jazz guitar which has a huge scale length.

As long as I'm not playing along to anything I can substitute each guitar for each other; indeed learning the same tune on all three is a really fun challenge. As far as learning goes though, I would never try to learn guitar on a guitarlele as the fret spacing is TINY. The Terz spacing is much nicer and you can easily get a Yamaha JR1/2 which has a similar scale length to the Viator for under £100.
  • GrampaGrampa Frets: 947
    If you don't mind going used then you should be able to get a vgc Baby Taylor (BT1 or BT2), or Little Martin LX? (various models available) for your £250. Can't really go wrong with Taylor or Martin TBH.
    My other passion is firearms! Does that make me a closet Redneck???