Make your own cheap conductive paint

What's Hot
Saw this as I was taking a browse around YouTube. It's Highline Guitars basically saying all you need to do is mix powdered graphite lubricant and acrylic paint. Paint a strip, let it dry, check for conductivity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhxjzbxmDxA
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8750
    It’s still not as conductive as copper tape
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14553
    My CIJ Fender Jaguar body came with the grey paint in every cavity. Pity that nobody thought to connect any of it to ground! Duh!
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 992
    My CIJ Fender Jaguar body came with the grey paint in every cavity. Pity that nobody thought to connect any of it to ground! Duh!

There'd be no point.  I've yet to find a big F product with screening paint that actually conducts!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72549
    If you want to do the job properly, use copper tape. It’s more of a faff certainly, but it’s completely effective.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• mikeneticmikenetic Frets: 70
    @icbm one of the things that worries me a bit about tape is long-term adhesion. It's not something I have any experience with - are there any specific types or application tips I should know about?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72549
    mikenetic said:
    @icbm one of the things that worries me a bit about tape is long-term adhesion. It's not something I have any experience with - are there any specific types or application tips I should know about?
    I haven't ever seen any that's peeled off. I do always spot-solder the joints, since the adhesive seems to become less conductive over time, but that's all.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    I bought a Richie Kotzen Tele new last year and despite its high spec was surprised ( not ) to find it was unshielded - the only thing that completely did it was fully shielding with copper tape and soldering a ground point.